I’ve been wanting to do a kinetic swap for a while, but it does not ever get enough votes, so I thought I’d set it up as a craft-along. That way, you can keep your handcrafted item for yourself or gift it to a family member or friend.
The idea is to create something that has some sort of motion. It could be a small and simple thing like a pop-up card…or as elaborate as you’d like (anyone up for making an automaton?)
Here are some ideas to get you started.
• Pop-up card
• Balance toy or climbing toy
• Pull-string toy (jumping jack or other)
• Wind-powered item like a kite, weathervane or yard sculpture
• Puppet or marionette or automaton
• Wind-up or crank-powered toy
• Optical toy like a flip book, kaleidoscope, phenakistoscope, zoetrope, or praxinoscope
• Zen sculpture with a swinging pendulum that writes in sand
• Cuckoo clock
…Can you think of others?
If you are interested in trying an automaton, one great source of inspiration is wolfCat Workshop’s “One Month of Small Machines”. These are quick, simple projects made with paper, so they make automata seem more accessible.
Please share your ideas, resources, etc. … and if you do a project, please post pictures here. I’d love to see progress pictures as well as completed project photos.
As a challenge, I’d like to propose a goal date of February 14 for completion of our projects.
Hope you join me and have lots of fun crafting items that MOVE!
Edited to add a link to my Pinterest Automata board: