Mt. Catsmore

see video at
https://wingsnthings.tripod.com/pictures/catsmore.htm
it took 3 computers and a lot of figuring out and deletions to get it to load at all. maybe next time, I’ll figure out how to embed it in the post!

I thought it would be fun to make Christmas ornaments representing favorite places.
The Stitch Along 2020-to the End of Time! January theme (Let’s go on a trip) got me started, then the Kinetic Non-Swap (Craftalong) inspired a new level, resulting in an embroidered mermaid that swims.

This month’s stitchalong theme is love, so I featured our four beloved kitties who are no longer with us. It also references Mt. Rushmore for Presidents Day; the base is shaped like South Dakota.

When you pull the tassel, the cat heads rotate widdershins, then the bead counterweight turns them back when you let go. The tails swing with each movement.

The heads kept coming out too big for the mechanism, so I have a few extras.

Here are the workings in back, 3D printed and held together with jewelry findings. I figured them out my own self!

23 Likes

Frikken awesome. Seriously the best, like every element is fabulous. Love those tails!

2 Likes

Oh those sweet lil bebe gatos!

2 Likes

Brilliant in so many ways!

2 Likes

What a wonderful blend of digital design / 3D printing, and embroidery. I’m so glad you shared more info. Great work.

2 Likes

This is incredible! I love them. :heart:

2 Likes

This is seriously awesome!

2 Likes

Very, very cool!

2 Likes

This is so clever!

1 Like

Holy wow!!! Amazing and hilarious and sentimental. All the things!

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! This was fun to put together, and I’m making progress on understanding kinetic toys.

I wonder what state would be good for March. My birth month, Spring, Women’s History Month…

1 Like

So very cool! I love them, and wish I could see them in motion!

1 Like

your wish is granted.

see link at top of first post!

1 Like

Oh, thank you!!! They are so cute and I love the way they move. :heart:

1 Like

It’s so dang cool. I could see that dangly bead wrapped in string to make it look like a ball of yarn…

2 Likes

Genius! I’m doing that! Ooh, maybe a feather toy instead of tassel, too

1 Like

Congrats! Your Mt. Catsmore is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like