Kitty Caddy - A Quilting Companion for my MIL - Kwik Sew 4274

KittyCaddy06

When I spotted the pattern for this little kitty, I knew I had to make it for my MIL who loves cats and has taken up quilting since she retired a few years ago. Her birthday is coming up and she’s always always very appreciative of handmade gifts!

KittyCaddy01

KittyCaddy05

There’s an attached mouse pin cushion on the head, 4 pockets across the body, a ribbon flower & flange along the tail for clips. Of course, the whole body could be used for a pin cushion!

KittyCaddy07

The base is weighted with “doll beads” and has a piece of cardboard for stability. THe base is definitely more smoothly oval in person than in the photo. Also the whole body is interfaced.

KittyCaddy09

I was able to utilize stash for the stuffing, beads, cardboard, thread, floss, beads, buttons, collar ribbon, bell, felt. I bought the leopard print fabric since I didn’t find anything suitable in my stash and the flower ribbon. Also the notions.

Two things were not in the pattern: the collar which I added to disguise the wrinkling of the neck and the pink button under the tail which was TheMisterT’s idea. :grimacing: :laughing: He was saying “oh you should add a little pink…” and I finished his sentence with “b*tthole.” I mean, if you have had and love cats you know how much cats like to show you their anus. :cat: :expressionless:

Photo blurred for humor, not for truly graphic content. Just like opinions, 'most everyone’s got one!

I do wish my photos were a bit better, but I couldn’t get out the photo box for this today and was hoping for a bit brighter sunshine to bounce of the snow. At least I was able to shoot outside this morning! Someday I hope to have either a permanent place for photographing or a quicker set up/take down situation.

EDIT: Photo of pattern

20 Likes

how cool. I want one! I love kitties, and I love leopard prints.

I even already have leopard print fleece, plenty of ribbons…
but of course I’d have to customize it to hold all my sewing stuff; shears, seam rippers, screwdrivers for the machine.
Hmmm. I recently 3D printed a caddy for much of this stuff, but the cat (catty) is cuter. Maybe I could majigger a cat body around the 3D print, for the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the cute pix, and the interesting ideas they prompted!

3 Likes

So adorable and practical! I love all the details…ha ha…what a fantastic idea to flange the tail to hold those clips!

3 Likes

This is such a cool gift!! Useful and fun! Love the TMT touches.

3 Likes

Super cute! Love how multi-functional it is. She will love it!

3 Likes

Oh wow, i didn’t even see the pockets at first look! This is great! I love the flower for clips - so easy to put one on one-handed. Perfect! All around, a great usable tool. And cute and made me laugh (button!) and say awww (mousey!). :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, everyone! Admittedly TheMisterT doesn’t fully “get it,” but I know his mom is going to be super tickled with it.

@steiconi If they have covers for their sharp parts seam rippers and small scissors could totally go into the pockets. The cover photo for the pattern shows a tape measure as well.

@AIMR I agree about that flange! And since the body is lined with felt, it’s got some bulk.

@endymion I think the pattern designer did some clever work making it do several things and still look like a cat!

@Abbeeroad I’m a little embarrassed I didn’t think of the pink button myself!

@Camelama I’m glad the flower turned out so cute, because it was a pain in the pink button! It’s made from 30 3" strips of ribbon.

7 Likes

This is so cool! Beautiful details at every turn. She’s going to love it.

3 Likes

Oh! I finally got the “flange”. Nifty!!

3 Likes

Hilariously adorable :laughing:
And the mouse! :mouse:

3 Likes

This is the most fantastic and useful gift! Well done!

3 Likes

Thanks so much, friends!

2 Likes

I think this is going to be added to the LC lexicon, like “thinging the thing”

So well done and much more useful than most cats in the craft room!

4 Likes

Thank you! I just hope her cats don’t decide any part of it should be chewed or wrestled!

Bahahahahaaaaa! Nothing would make me prouder!

4 Likes

This is amazing. I laughed so hard at the pink button. Yes, kitties are quite proud of their ponk buttons.
I love how functional this is. Your MIL is going to be thrilled!

3 Likes

Adorable! I love the little mouse pincushion.

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

I added a pic of the pattern envelope to the main thread for reference.

What an awesome gift! She’s going to love it!!

1 Like

The butt is hilarious. Super cute kitty! I’d the fabric soft? It looks like it’s pettable.

1 Like

Thanks so much, pals!

@irid3sc3nt It’s just quilting cotton, so not soft. BUT easy to work with!

2 Likes