Laundry Tote with Polar Bears

I bought this cute fabric on a whim, from a remnants bin @ Tomato in Nippori years ago and have been hoarding it in my stash ever since. I made a nephew a mask and the rest sat untouched. I need another bag for laundry day so I pulled this out to use since it makes me happy to see. Its about 10 x 10 20 inches. Its lined with some basic muslin fabric. All the edges are sewn a teensy bit to give it more shape without using any stabilizer.

Close up of the corner

Fabric is a light cotton canvas by Kobayashi

Editing to add a photo of the bag filled!

Next to a liter bottle for size reference… before you ask, its filled with alcohol used to clean 3D prints. The grey is uncured resin suspended in alcohol. We were trying to reclaim the alcohol by exposing the whole thing to light, hoping to cure the resin and leave the alcohol, but it didn’t work. :frowning:

19 Likes

This is so cute and such a great way to enjoy your special fabric regularly as well as make lugging around laundry a bit more fun!

3 Likes

Very cool! Nice construction :slight_smile:
I have very fond memories of trying to find the fabric district without any internet on my phone. I bought limited fabrics, so that they would be really special :hugs:

3 Likes

This is very cute. For something you use all the time, its definitely a worthy use for the good stuff.

3 Likes

Cute & useful!! Whenever friends went shopping in Japan, I drooled over their photos of fabrics.

2 Likes

I didn’t learn about the area until after i had a phone with internet! The first time i went everything was closed because it was some sort of holiday. I was soooo bummed. I make sure to have an ample amount of cash set aside everytime we go now.

3 Likes

A lot of online shops sell Japanese fabrics these days. I have had a hard time finding Kobayashi here in the states though.

Yup, i love what I can buy from home, but it’s nothing like shopping in their fabric district though! :wink:

1 Like

That’s true! Last time I went, a former coworkers wife, asked me to find more of a fabric she bought on a trip earlier in the year. Luckily the shop still had it.

2 Likes

How often do you visit Japan? I wish I could go frequently :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Pre covid, every few years. I was sent by my old job a couple of times, which really kicked off the travel bug

2 Likes

What a great bag! The fabric is adorable.

1 Like

This fabric makes laundry day so much more fun!

1 Like

It did! I used it today!

2 Likes

What a great use for this special fabric! You will see it often and use it lots!

1 Like

Such cute fabric! I love stuff that’s adorable AND functional!

There’s a fabric DISTRICT?? Oh be still, my heart…,!

1 Like

YES in Tokyo, the area is called Nippori. It’s lovely to visit.

Best notions shop, non-buttons → https://www.instagram.com/ontravelling/
Best Buttons are right down the street at L’Musee - I literally can find nothing about them online.
Best Fabric Store, hands down is Tomato :slight_smile:

1 Like

If I’m ever in Tokyo I’ll have to go!!

1 Like

Polarbears! What a delightdul way to cheer up laundry day.

1 Like

:blossom: Your wonderful craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :cherry_blossom:

1 Like