LC Midwest Meetup 2023 - Champaign, IL

I’m sure you can Uber or Lyft. Also the Champaign airport is 10 minutes from my house, and I’m certain one of us could pick you up. There would be plenty of people going to and from the hotels for you to catch a ride with. The airport only gets in two flights a day, so if anyone else was coming in they’d probably be on the same flight as you too.

3 Likes

I had the same question for Chicago airport, it looks like it’s really my only option for international flights, but car hire is crazy expensive. Over $100/day for a basic car, without all the extra insurance etc. Is there such a thing as a bus from the Chicago to the town?

Edit: it looks like there is a bus, but it would be good to know if anyone is travelling from or near airports, then we could possibly car-pool and have fun on the journey.

3 Likes

The trouble is that you don’t even get a guarantee that the type of car you originally picked is available. :frowning::angry: That’s what happened to me…I picked economy size, something similar to my Subaru Outback because I specifically did NOT want a large vehicle. When I arrived at the car rental, they said they only had three available: truck, van, or Ford Explorer. I had an awful time.

2 Likes

That’s not fun! I found the last time that I rented a car, the car was actually too small. Not in terms of capacity, but the engine was really puny. I didn’t want to drive fast, but you need power to allow you to overtake safely etc. I actually swapped it out for a better one as I had it for 6 weeks.

2 Likes

I agree…a small car can be more maneuverable for parking, etc, but for traveling, I want as big as they get!

1 Like

I can see doing that if there’s a lot of people and I’m not driving it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Since I had a question about the ‘Gift Exchange’ listed on the first post, I thought I’d expand on that. This was something we did at the Asheville Meetup that everyone really enjoyed. Anyone who wishes to participate brings a Medium-ish handmade item, gift wrapped, that anyone else attending, would enjoy receiving. We pull names out of a hat, and whoever is called gets to pick a gift out of the pile. We open and show them off to each other. Similar to a White Elephant or Yankee Swap, but without the mean stealing aspect.

4 Likes

This was really fun! I plan to bring something as an offering and participate!

2 Likes

I have updated the second post, with a list of folks I know are attending, vs folks who are interested. If anyone else is a definite, let me know and I’ll move your name over. This will help me with planning for meals, and the two group crafts I have planned.

4 Likes

I am as definite as I can be! There’s always a small chance work will interfere, but that would likely just mean missing the Friday activities, not the whole thing.

2 Likes

If I took a flight it would be about $600 round trip from Denver to Willard. Ugh, I hate how flights fluctuate prices. Last week it was $525, but I got mad looking at hotels and shut my comp. Going to look again today then discuss with husband.

ETA: The Holiday Inn Champaign seems to be the cheapest, if that’s what you’re looking for but without breakfast. There is a McDs across the parking lot, though.

1 Like

Have you tried that trick where you clear the cookies on your computer to see if it changes the prices? There’s something I read somewhere, who knows if it’s true, that the cookies allow the ticketing website to know that you’re probably really interested in so the prices are no longer low. Might be worth a try.

2 Likes

That’s sneaky of them :rage:

1 Like

Yep. :money_with_wings:

1 Like

My mom is trying to come for Ada’s first birthday, and coming into Willard is somehow over $975 for her. We looked into coming into Bloomington-Normal and it was nearly the same price. Maybe I should try looking with Ant Bee’s trick…

1 Like

American Airlines was the least expensive. It has a one hour stop in Texas.

1 Like

Seems I could fly from London for approx £600 :open_mouth:

4 Likes

Wow! That’s across the Atlantic for less than my mom coming from New Hampshire.

1 Like

I know, Crrazzy!!

1 Like

There are also certain days of the week where airfare is cheaper than other days. I want to say Tuesday/Wednesday are typically where you find the best pricing on average but don’t hold me to it.

2 Likes