LC Midwest Meetup 2023 - Champaign, IL

Woohoo!!!

1 Like

Sadly, I have to bail. :smiling_face_with_tear: Costs for my Iceland trip are adding up, and most of my spare money has to go towards fixing my porch (it’s sagging a bit…). I have a feeling that’s going to cost more than I want…

So, I hope you all post a bunch of photos so I can visit vicariously! I hate to miss it!

4 Likes

Aw that’s such a shame x

I’m actually stopping in Iceland on the way, then Toronto to visit magpie before heading south. I can understand why your Iceland costs are mounting, it’s not a cheap destination.

4 Likes

I’m sorry Cindy!

2 Likes

I’m glad you’re able to make the most of your trip! Sorry I won’t get to meet you in person!

And, we’re packing in as much as we can on our trip, but it means I need to get fully kitted out - there’s much I no longer own that I need (bathing suits, thermal underwear, hiking boots, etc). But, it’s all stuff I should be able to use afterwards, at least!

2 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

I know I’ve been pretty quiet and not staying up to date, but @GeekyBookworm and I are most likely coming, so if we need to confirm anything or give our 2 cents and haven’t, we do really want to come. We’re gonna hold off on making official reservations or anything since we live close enough to do that.

Yay!

5 Likes

Ahh, I want to come so badly but I think the time has come to be realistic and say I can’t be there. The US government disagrees with my vaccination status and won’t allow me entry. That might change later in May but there’s no guarantee and ticket prices just keep going up as the date gets closer so I had to make the decision to quit thinking and planning. When the idea was first floated, I never even thought about the border, we’ve crossed many times prior to 2020, then a couple weeks ago my hubby reminded me of the restrictions :frowning:

4 Likes

Aw what a shame. X

1 Like

Ok, I added you to the attending list!

I’m sorry Cindy!

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this Meetup all weekend while Jim & I did stuff around the house. I spent some time clarifying ideas and plans this morning and I think I have some ideas for you all.

In order to help keep travel costs down for folks, and still have lots of crafty fun, I’m proposing a small fee for attending the Meetup, that will be used to feed you all, and buy you craft supplies. My idea is to offer dinner on Friday, lunch on Saturday, and breakfast/brunch on Sunday, and the supplies for 2 surprise craft projects that we do on Friday afternoon and Sunday morning for $25. That would be $5 per meal and per craft.

People would have two options for the remaining meals: Either go out in small groups to try local spots, OR, if cost is an issue, people are welcome to have leftovers here, for dinner on Saturday. And if your hotel doesn’t offer free breakfast, instead of going out for fast food, you’re welcome to join us for an informal breakfast here on Saturday. I’ll have things like cereal or homemade granola, and fresh fruit (with real and faux milk options). How does this sound to people?

And do we have any more folks who wish to be added to the Attending List? @AIMR, were you and your sister still coming together? @photojenn, did you still want to drive down? @irid3sc3nt?

5 Likes

I will happily pitch in a few dollars to help fund the fun! Thank you so much for taking all this on!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Same! We all pitched in to cover food, etc at the Asheville meetup so this is totally reasonable.

3 Likes

I’m 99.9% coming! My body has been acting up a lot recently but hoping to have it sorted by then. I think chipping in for food and supplies sounds great, I certainly don’t expect you to pay for everything!

Driving back into Chicago Sunday afternoon would easily add an extra hour to my commute so I’ll probably leave early Sunday morning (like 6-7am) to head back.

4 Likes

Very happy to chip in for food and supplies xx

2 Likes

I will not be able to come out for it. I may be going to Washington that week or the week before. My husband still hasn’t asked for the time off from work yet.
But, if I were, I would totally have been on board for the fee. It sounds like y’all are going to have a blast! Take lots of pics to make the rest of us envious :hugs:

1 Like

I’m sorry. We’ll miss you!

2 Likes

Of course we’ll happily chip in the cost.

3 Likes

The pool is open! The water is safe to swim, but still a bit cold. Currently 72. Jim got the heater working this morning and it’s gone up a degree so far. Can’t wait to see you guys all here in July!

8 Likes

I hope you guys have an AMAZING time! Mr Jemimah has been very encouraging of a trip, and I did look into dates and airfares etc. With other planned trips to see family this year, this July just didn’t work out, but we’re very serious about coming over for the next one.

3 Likes