LC Shawl-Along ~ Knitters & Crocheters Unite!

It was a tedious way to bind off and I am happy it’s done. Now the shawlette will sit in the ‘waiting to be blocked’ pile :sweat_smile:

And I need another project since I have nothing on my needles…

4 Likes

I have never done picot edging. Nervous!

Oh I hope we see your finished shawl @loves2experiment!

3 Likes

The picot edging isn’t too bad…you can do it!
If you’re a visual learner, check this out.

I find step by step images more helpful than videos…sometimes :wink:

As requested, here’s my finished shawlette…not yet blocked. I plan on gifting this in late November, so it’s unlikely to get blocked till then :sweat_smile: It will look so much better blocked!

And a close-up of the pic of edging…

6 Likes

Beautiful! You were so fast!

Thanks for the picot link. I took a peek, but not sure I fully understand the cast on while knitting part. I will cross that bridge in about 9 repeats…ah!

4 Likes

You can use other cast on methods.
I used the backwards loop cast on because it was quicker :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am going to do it, I decided…there is no hurry so I can take my time…I have to remember to leave enough yarn since I was just going to continue repeats until it was gone…

2 Likes

I had my digital scale handy and was taking measurements for the last 2 repeats to gauge how much yarn was left…mostly because I am too much of a chicken to play yarn chicken.

The pattern suggested leaving 10% of the yarn for the final repeat + picot edging. For me, that was 10g and I only had 9g…but it worked out and I have about 2 yards of yarn left :wink:

3 Likes

Is it possible to switch to a hook & crochet that picot edge? I don’t knit so no idea what’s doable but I do know that crochet picot is dead simple.

2 Likes

It is absolutely doable! I often do crochet edging instead of knit edging…hmmm…I might do that…but, I am trying to hone my skills so I am torn…lol

2 Likes

After going through my ravelry faves, I’ve narrowed down my next knitted shawl project to 3 candidates. They all look like fun knits to me but I gotta start somewhere :wink:
Has anyone knitted any of these shawls and would/wouldn’t recommend them?

5 Likes

How does one pick? I haven’t seen any of those, but they are now in my library…lol…

The Magnolia looks challenging but doable and I do like knitting from charts…

3 Likes

Right? I figured I will probably get around to all three at some point, but would love input from you guys if you’ve knitted these shawls. These single skein projects are perfect for destashing all the impulse yarn buys I’ve accumulated over the years and they usually knit up pretty quickly! And once knitted, they would be perfect for stashing away for last-minute gifts :smiley:

2 Likes

I am going to follow your lead…I have a lot of one skein impulse buys…lol

3 Likes

Hello all! I’m joining in the fun. This will be my first shawl ever.

I’m using two of the same colorway of mandala yarn, but they start on different colors.

Hope it works so I can send a long distance hug.

9 Likes

I’ve used that yarn in the same color way…its color changes are so pretty :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see the progress of your shawl!

3 Likes

I obviously have not knitted any of these but think the ginko one looks interesting! I have a yellow skein too so this might be next on my list to…ahem…attempt, lol. Hopefully someone can give you insight on your selections to help you make a decision! Sometimes that’s the hardest part, haha.

Yay for your first shawl @AuFish! Can’t wait to see more!!

2 Likes

Ooh, all 3 are gorgeous! My eye was very drawn to the fern pattern but I think I’d reach most often for ginkgo with all that delicate detailing on both sides. Just lovely!

2 Likes

I linked the patterns in alphabetical order.
Perhaps I should just work my way down the line so I won’t have to decide…hmm.

4 Likes

Thanks to @Smmarrt , my next shawl has been decided! She sent me a cool vintage pattern that I am going to update a bit . The nice thing is that it uses size 13 needles, so it will go quickly…can’t wait to get started. A few more rows left on the current shawl…

6 Likes

Started my gingko crescent shawlette yesterday afternoon and I am 33 repeats in :slight_smile:
Can’t wait for the knit/purl portion to be done with so that I can work on the lace portion!
Hmm…I might put in a lifeline before starting the lace portion in case I muck things up :sweat_smile:

7 Likes