Leather + Bead Necklaces

Continuing my holiday crafting, I made some necklaces I’ll offer at my gift buffets (where I put out a bunch of stuff and people just take what they want).

It was fun to play around and see what I could make with what I had, and what worked together. The two top ones are a little shorter with beads sitting chest height, and the rest are a bit longer.

Thanks for taking a look!

13 Likes

Gorgeous! I’m wild for those large feature beads in the first 3, are they glazed ceramic? Super pretty focal points. I’d quite happily be wearing one of your necklaces home after a visit!

2 Likes

Thank you! They are glazed ceramic. I think I picked up on sale at Michael’s (though could have been JoAnn) sometime this year. I needed wider stringing holes for the cord I was using, so it really limited my options while digging through my stash. :upside_down_face: :slight_smile: I was so glad those ones were in the mix! They have a subtle iridescence that doesn’t fully come through in the photos. They’re so pretty!

These are really cool and stylish. I still love your gift buffet idea. I hope someday I’m able to use it!

2 Likes

Love these! They have a wonderful casual and earthy feel to them; very wearable. Love those barrel-shaped beads!

1 Like

Very stylish and unique. I really love the stones you chose. And the ring with the two sides through it is so cool.

1 Like

So pretty! Very rustic and earthy feel! These could be casual or dressy!

1 Like

They are so unique - great choice of beads and how you put everything together!

1 Like

These are very pretty. I bet everyone at work eagerly awaits your gift buffet!

2 Likes

Thanks, everyone!

Do I need to do a gift buffet this year? :thinking:

1 Like

It is really fun!! I don’t have to guess what people might like and they don’t have to get stuff they don’t want. And I just make whatever catches my fancy, small batches of this and that. Truly, my holiday season got so much better when I started doing it eight or nine years ago. So I say, YES. Definitely. :joy:

My only advice, besides make what you want, is make sure not to be emotionally invested in what people choose or don’t choose. I was disappointed people weren’t as excited as I was for some of my projects early on until I reminded myself that was the whole point of doing it, lol. Leftovers (which are usually minimal) are shared with others who couldn’t make it or donated. The system works great for me and is usually met with enthusiasm (if at first confusion, haha).

And a logistical tip - I usually also provide bags for folks to put the stuff they choose in, which has been appreciated. Paper bags, gift bags, or one year I sewed bags like those used for Days for Girls and included an insert on the charity, which actually led to some donations for them.

I’d love to see what you do if you decide to go for it!

2 Likes

I appreciate the great tips! Thank you. I might not do it on a large scale this year but I think I could do a few for my direct department- only 10 peeps or so. But I could see doing it on a larger scale with some planning over the year.
Few batches here and there. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like