Let’s Stitch Along to the End of Time!

Thanks guys! Let’s see…for August how about A New Kind of Stitch. I always use the same stitch and it would be fun to try out some new ones. It can be anything from a stitch sampler to just a small piece with a new to you kind of stitch.
Here is an example of a stitch sampler

9 Likes

A stitch doodle??? These are my very favorite. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Great idea! I tend to use the same stitches over and over, it would be good to try new ones.

1 Like

Great theme! I always end up doing the same stitches as well. I learned so many stitches in needlework class in school and I always use the same 5.

1 Like

This looks like a good resource

did someone post a clickable index of stitches a while ago? from the Embroiderers Guild or something?

3 Likes

Great idea! I’ve always wanted to make a modern version of the traditional sampler. @calluna did an amazing one that is just wow. Take more than a month tho…

There are lots of neat ideas out there. Squares, hexies, lines, filled shapes, surrounding negative space, etc. Here are a couple cute hoops:

The review says this pre-printed colour wheel sampler isn’t on great fabric but a DIY version would be easy enough.

Here’s an adorable free pattern.

This one is also incredibly cute, it’s not free tho.

Take a Stitch Tuesday TAST is an incredible free online stitch resource.

3 Likes

Great theme and awesome resources, guys!! I’ve updated the first post. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My brain is brewing with ideas! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

this has some fun stitches new to me; I plan to use at least two!

10 Likes

May I present my first entry into the stitch along :hugs:

I call it, Blueberry Boro

This is my first time creating a slow stitched piece. I wanted to add a lot more detail, but then I kind of liked the minimalist look. It’s 6 inches long and just over 4 inches wide, so I could always trim it to be a 4x6 artwork :grin:

The fabrics are scraps I got for free from a fancy fabric shop, linens with a wool felt base. The beads, which are very realistic seeds of some sort I think, I got in a mixed lot from the op shop, and the Perle 8 cotton I used I got second hand from Facebook. Oh, and I even got the needles from the op shop in this big mixed bag of vintage ones … which was really handy as I actually used a few different types in the process.

I’m not sure if the white stitch has a name, but I made it to replicate the boomerang shapes on the grey fabric. I used a stab stitch to do the yellow ‘Boro’ style stitching.

I really enjoyed making this piece :slight_smile: I can see many more slow stitched pieces in my future :hugs:

But also this because I can’t decide which direction I love best :yum:

9 Likes

For once I can participate too! :smiley: I had something in mind to try for this month, but havent gotten to it yet. But I did stitch a little wall hanging for my brother, as a birthday gift. And that was new to me. I have used wool as fabric, and both Perle 8 Cotton and mouline yarn to embroider, as I dont have much wool yarn.

My brother (who turned 35) collects crocodiles/alligators so I draw a picture and turned it into something I could embroider. So I have used the application technique. Im pretty pleased with how it turned out. He looks so happy, my crocodile.
I know it could fit into a childs room, but I know he will appreciate it and just be happy with a silly croc. :smiley:

12 Likes

So cute! I love how the balloons wrap around his tail :smiley:

1 Like

Awesome stitching!!

@PrincessP - I love the boomerang fabric and the way the stitching mirrors the pattern. And the yellow on yellow. I think I like the vertical orientation better…but they are both great!

@skrutt - how adorable! I love that you drew the croc and then stitched it. I think the border is my favorite detail. It’s like rick rack but in stitches! I’m sure your brother will love it.

3 Likes

I finally finished some stitching!

11 Likes

Oh my gosh! I completely love it!!

1 Like

Wow, great stitches!
@skrutt, what a cool crocagator! love the party hat.
@princessp, lovely textures. I think the white stitch could be called flystitch.
@mellybelly81, g’day, mate! It’s the Sydney Opera House! beautiful color blending.

I’ve got my outline traced, I’m practicing my new stitches, and I got an audio book from the library to keep me company…

3 Likes

Got it done!
DSCN0209
I finally tried silk ribbon embroidery and the Mountmellick stitch.

more words at Silk flower skeleton

The backs of my embroideries are usually quite messy. This one is a nightmare.

8 Likes

That’s fabulous! What wonderful expression in that skelly!

2 Likes

This is cool! I love the ribbon.

1 Like

ohh–very nice! I have always wanted to try ribbon embroidery! Love it!

1 Like