Light-Up Robot Ornament

Made this ornament for the Ongoing Ornament Swap. (Everyone should come and play! Sign-ups are ongoing).

One of @photojenn’s themes was Robots, and that’s the one I chose.

I’ve been tinkering around with metal lately, so I knew I wanted to use a tin for the body of the robot. For the other things, I shopped my stash (and also picked up a few doodads at my local creative reuse store.)

The head is a large jingle bell!

In Shop the Swap, @Bunny1kenobi had offered some bottle lights.
I claimed them from her, thinking I could use them to light up an ornament in the upcoming ornament swap. The robot seemed like a perfect project for that.

Underneath the white plastic piece, I stuck a few pieces of colored plastic. The colors don’t show when the lights are off.

The lights are trapped between the plastic and the tin, so when you flip the switch (on the robot’s back), the colors show through.

It really was surprisingly easy and quick to put together. I was pleased with how it turned out, even though the back looks pretty messy (no pictures of the messy parts…HA!)

25 Likes

I love him so much! Looking forward to getting him on the tree!

1 Like

I love the creativity and how bunny unknowingly helped, too! Super cute!

2 Likes

It’s really neat seeing all the various pieces before assembly, this is so creative both in concept and in use of all the various elements!

I have a bunch of those wine bottle lights, but I would’ve never thought to use them for something like this. I love the use of the plastic to add color to the lights!

3 Likes

He’s SOOOO CUUUUTE!!!

1 Like

OMG! That’s so dang cool!

1 Like

This is awesome!

1 Like

This is sooo cool! I never would have thought to use bottle lights like that. Genius and all around wonderfully awesome.

1 Like

Aghhhh! I love that it lights up! Super cool and fun! This is amazing and so creative.

2 Likes

:cowboy_hat_face: Yeehaw! Your amazing craft is a Featured Project this week! :horse:

3 Likes

Thanks! And thanks for the kind comments, everyone. It was fun to put together.

1 Like

This is brilliant!!

2 Likes

He’s awesome and so creative! :smiley:

1 Like

The best robot ornament I’ve ever seen! I love that his wee little head is a bell!

1 Like