Little Black Shirt Dress - Halloween Costume Entry 2023

I needed a black shirt dress for my Halloween costume this year, and I’ve made this pattern before - McCall’s 6696. It didn’t turn out all that great the first time… didn’t do a muslin and the fit was subsequently a bit off. Not wanting to make the same mistake twice, I did the muslin, adjusted the fit, and then made the dress. (I had to shorten the bodice and make the shoulders narrower.)

I used a black cotton sateen that I got on sale at JoAnn’s. I rounded up to the closest half-yard, but still ran out of fabric. I had to use a bit of cotton from my stash to face the cuffs (it’s a pretty starry/space print with a bit of glitter - right up my alley) and bind a few seams. All the seams are finished off properly in one fashion or another, so this dress took a few days to sew.

It ended up fitting quite well and was surprisingly comfortable to wear (I rarely wear a dress). I would definitely make this pattern again, probably with different sleeves…was not overly fond of the flipped up cuff. It looks cute, but wearing it with a sweater might prove a little awkward. Also, I could probably take a bit of volume out of the back gathers and be fine.

Overall, 10/10, would sew/wear again.

Some of that seam-finishing:

With the apron for my costume (I went as Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders in the video for “Brass in Pocket”):

14 Likes

This is so great! Seems like a super versatile pattern - especially with the sleeve modification you mentioned.

1 Like

Great dress, very nice for a costume, it may come in handy for a quick dress up too. I am always amazed at what we go through for Halloween, I haven’t sewn anything much for my self for years, but for Halloween I’ll go all out sometimes.

1 Like

Thanks! I didn’t mind going the extra yard on this costume because I totally knew this would end up in my closet for dressier occasions.

The pattern comes with two types of skirt, and options for no sleeves, short sleeves, and this 3/4 sleeve with cuff. But, I have a basic dress shirt pattern that has a long sleeve option, and I should be able to, with a bit of fiddling, make that sleeve work for this dress.

I’m impressed! I think you should enter this in the Halloween costume contest.

2 Likes

Awesome work and fantastic costume idea! So creative.

1 Like

Thank you! It was a fun costume.

Very nice! I would totally wear this on occasion! The pleating in the back is a nice detail.

1 Like

Thanks!