For the positive affirmation swap, I decided I wanted to try making a little fabric bucket with a design/sentiment. I followed this super cute tutorial. My attempt was…semi-successful. It definitely didn’t come out as it looked in my head and I wasn’t happy with where my design fell on the finished item. Everything looked great in progress, but that final assembly was a pain and there was some fabric wrangling. Here is the front:
And the back (if there is a front/back):
Things didn’t line up super great when I put it all together, so I had do some trimming, which resulted in everything being less centered on the bucket than I liked.
The black and white band at the top was pieced from scraps…mostly because I forgot to add the extra half inch for the lining fabric to show on the front, lol, but it ended up being my favorite part. I also carved an “X” stamp and stamped that randomly on the fabric so the neutral background wouldn’t be so plain and boring.
Here’s the lining. I strategically hid my awful closing stitches in this picture.
I almost didn’t send this because I was so frustrated with the outcome, but my family convinced me it was worthy.
After this I swore…never again! Buuut…that didn’t last long, lol. I had to conquer this pattern!
While picking up some more interfacing (currently obsessed with this material), I ran into these cute fat quarters that I knew wanted to be buckets for my girls.
I made the blue/purple one first and ran into the same problem with things not lining up upon assembly. What the heck? AND I forgot the extra 1/2" for the lining again - blue fabric to the rescue!
Lining (ladder stitched closed this time for a much nicer finish):
While complaining to Mr. Road about my lack of precision skills, I realized…the tutorial has you fuse the interfacing to the batting rather than the fabric. For me, this was causing some major shrinkage to the batting/interfacing layer! That’s why everything was out of wack!
So…for the pink bucket I fused the interfacing to the outer fabric (and remembered that darn extra 1/2" for the lining), and success!! Things went together SO much smoother!
You can even see the size difference when I don’t have to “square up” all the mis-matched pieces.
Phew! Thanks for listening to my rambling!