Little folk art deer watercolour

I woke up at 4.00am this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep (blah!), so I decided to use the quiet pre-workday time to finish the little deer I’ve been working on.

It’s only small - the paper is about 3 1/2” x 5 1/2”, and the painting is about 2 1/2 inches square. I think I want to do more illustrations in this style, these colours make me happy.

37 Likes

I love this. A three toed sloth in this style and these colors would be amazing. I like that you made the antlers branch out across the entire picture. And the vines and flowers on the body make it feel more earthy. :heart:

4 Likes

Beautiful! I love how the antlers blend into the white of the paper behind them. The whole thing is really gorgeous!

4 Likes

Not being able to go back to sleep kinda bites…but I love your burst of creativity!
Your wee folk art deer is darling!

2 Likes

I love the hearts, so pretty.

2 Likes

I am in love!

2 Likes

I feel your pain on being up at random hours not being able to sleep. Great that you are able to utilize the time though, and such a beautiful result! I can easily see these being a gorgeous set of cards, etc. Love it!

2 Likes

The colors and the design are so lovely. That deer is so appealing to look at. Love, love, love it.

2 Likes

That is seriously beautiful. If I could paint as well as you, I’d print my work like this for holiday cards. Gorgeous!

3 Likes

Stunning! Love the composition, the colors and subject matter. This is so neatly done and beautiful. I agree with @Magpie, this should be made into cards.

3 Likes

You have wonderful control of your brush in such a tiny space! The details are clean and so well executed…

I love that your creatures are whimsical yet not cartoonish…I can recognize your style almost immediately now and that is a good thing (I won’t miss anything!!)…

Lovely sleepless night work… (I get it…)

2 Likes

I’ve always admired your artwork, and this piece is no exception. The peaceful little deer may be my new favorite of yours. Please make more and share them so we can be awed again by your watercolor magic!

2 Likes

such a pretty deer, and how wonderful that even if you couldn’t go back to sleep you were able to produce something this pretty and wonderful, I really love your style

2 Likes

They make me happy, too! And the small repetitions are soothing. I’m getting some subtle Scandinavian vibes, but modernized.

:four_leaf_clover: :metal: :shamrock:

Never have I ever woke up that early and been productive. Never.

2 Likes

wow, so much detail in such a tiny painting! I too really like how the antlers anchor the top of your lovely piece :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very pretty. I’d love a ceramic deer in those colours

2 Likes

This is beautiful! You should definitely do more cause you have mad skills and it makes you happy.

2 Likes

So lovely!
I’m so jealous of people who can paint with watercolors. Every time I try it looks like a 7 year old did it. :laughing:

2 Likes

Anything you want to learn to do just takes practice. :slight_smile:

@jemimah Your watercolors make me so happy, and so inspired to try and spend more time with actual watercolors.! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So pretty and soft.

2 Likes