Little Good Things of 2021-- gallery!

I’m reading that and I’m like ‘duh, they’re chocolate sprinkles, of course they taste like chocolate!’ But they don’t taste like that over there? And everyone eats them on bread so the spout is very practical. If you like peanut butter, peanut butter & sprinkles or peanut butter, sprinkles & banana are also popular varieties.

I think there’s actually a law about hagelslag quality. It needs to have a certain % of chocolate or you can’t call it hagelslag. The cheap stuff on the bottom shelves is called cacaofantasie and I don’t really know who buys that. Other countries protect their heritage cheeses, we protect our heritage sprinkles! And then they say we don’t have a real food culture :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

USA gal here. The last store-brand brown sprinkles I bought were distasteful waxy bits. Yuck. Vowed to only buy excellent sprinkles the rest of my life!

2 Likes

I seriously need to try these variations. Mmmmm.

Yeah I think sprinkles here are made from frosting. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I looked it up:

sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, a little food-grade wax (for those of us who eat wax) and artificial coloring and flavoring

Yuck.

5 Likes

Oooooohhh! Now I understand why people in other countries rave about sprinkles on bread. Yeah, American sprinkles just taste like gross, sweet wax. :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Now that’s a cultural food that deserves to be protected. The mass-market quality of what is laughingly called chocolate in this country is a tragedy. I weep real tears and then buy the real stuff!

6 Likes

Oh, peanut butter was definitely on my to-try list :drooling_face:.

1 Like