Magic Cookie Bars

I baked cookie bars for a bake sale!

The Friends group at my local library is having a Valentine’s Day bake sale to benefit the library, so I baked some cookie bars. I put each one in a heart themed baking cup because I had a bunch, and added tags with ingredient information after I took pictures.

I should have waited for them to cool a bit more before cutting and packaging them, but they still taste good! :slight_smile: The corner pieces didn’t look as nice, so they were kept for taste-testing. :grin:

Before baking (I lined the baking dish with parchment paper):

(1 of the 2 batches)

These are really easy to make! The measurements are pretty forgiving - you just want to make sure you have enough margarine or butter for the graham cracker crumbs. The graham cracker base can be a bit dry and crumbly if you don’t have enough.

The recipe:

Magic Cookie Bars

1/2 c margarine (can use butter instead)
1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs (I used 1 graham cracker package - 9 whole cracker sheets)
1 - 14 oz can condensed milk
1 1/2 c coconut (I used sweetened coconut flakes)
6 oz chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
6 oz butterscotch chips (can use more chocolate chips instead)
1 c chopped nuts (I left these out)

1. In 13 x 9 glass baking dish, melt margarine in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over margarine. (I melted the butter on the stove, mixed the crumbs in, and pressed the mix into the bottom of the baking dish.)
  2. Pour condensed milk over crumbs.
  3. Alternate rest of ingredients. (I added the coconut, sprinkled the chocolate and butterscotch chips on top, and then pressed everything down.)
  4. Bake 25-30 minutes at 350° F.
13 Likes

My mom makes something similar. Her recipe calls them “Hello Dollies” but she’s always called them “Seven Layer Bars”. SO YUM!

2 Likes

They’re so good! I was looking for a recipe to link, but it seems like everyone has their own slightly different version so I typed up the one I got from my mom. :grin:

2 Likes

Yummy way to support your library!

1 Like

Delicious!

1 Like

Yummy, my favorites!

I came across a variation in Hawaii that uses macadamia nuts. Called “Aloha Dollies”, of course

3 Likes

Absolute magic.

1 Like