Mask-Along

Guys, I am four days into in-building school and the ill fitting masks are driving me bonkers. I watch kids readjust the same mask ever 2 minutes and I just want to take it home and fix it for them! Then I realize I don’t really want them to give me the germ-filled thing. I may just bring my sewing machine to school and ask them to bring CLEAN masks in for me to fix. I might go crazy if I don’t. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

LOL! Good luck!

Watching my son and his friends with their masks on and my kid is the only one who wears it right and continuously…school will be interesting for sure. I want to make masks for all the kids in his class but I would never do anything else!

2 Likes

That Duke study had very small sample sizes and the focus of the study was actually to show that researchers created a very simple, cheap device to measure mask effectiveness. The goal of the publication was to give other researchers instructions for creating the same device. With that said, it does show that the 2-layer cotton masks that most of us are making have good results. More studies with bigger sample sizes need to be done, but this data is still encouraging. I was so excited when I saw this article! We are reading it in my AP Biology class tomorrow. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

I thought the quote below from the researcher was pretty interesting and goes along with what we have been saying/thinking.

Quote from a NYPost article:

The next six cotton masks all performed around the same level, which Fischer said shows variables matter. “It depends how loud you speak, and how well it fits around your face,” or if facial hair causes a looser fit, he said.

4 Likes

I have been shaving all the hairs away… :joy:

3 Likes

Oh no, that is the opposite of what I think most effective. I find the interfacing on the lining is best for keeping the fabric from moving into the mouth on a breath in.

If using this pattern, the interfacing adds 2 permanent interior washable filtration layers to the 2 cotton layers. I wear this style mask regularly for shopping and work and it seems just fine as far as breathe-ability (I have a condition that makes me quite sensitive to breathlessness and this mask is second only to those disposable paper ones for me) as well as a great seal that keeps glasses from fogging up. I am going to make a few for co-workers as we’re required to don them in elevators and common spaces. My kids have them for school too. They are comfortable, easy to wash, and take me 15-20 mins each to make including fusing the interfacing on before cutting.
***They are not as good without the nose wire, no mask is! It is worth putting that in, it really is. I did a great deal of research on the very best, most effective elements and a good seal is tippy top of the list. Also, that craft passion mask pattern has a flat chin bit, my chin is not flat and neither is yours. I seriously recommend adding a curve to that pattern for a better seal.

If using this pattern for a different fabric for front and lining, I do recommend any interfacing be applied to the lining. This is my second favourite pattern, I drafted it for those who want to save their nice fabric for the outside only. In my opinion, it is not as easy or efficient as the original pattern. I know it seems a waste to put pretty on the inside but after making dozens of the things, I can honestly say it is WORTH IT to use the first pattern. It’s fast, it’s easy, it is 2 layers of cotton plus 2 layers of interfacing plus a nose wire and replaceable/variable ear ties. It is EVERYTHING I have read as being recommended by health authorities.

1 Like

Here is the list of current recommendations for masks:

At least 2 layers of tightly woven cotton.

A very good seal around the face (chin curve, nose wire, does not fog up glasses when worn) & must cover nose to under the chin & stay in place even when talking.

Easily washable (drying is not necessary, think about the process for washing hands: cold water and soap, hang to dry is sufficient, iron if neccessary to maintain fit for a good seal).

DO NOT WORRY about the holes from sewing, those are filled with thread. They are literally poked to make room for the thread for which they are then filled. These things are just to catch our hot, wet breath and keep it out of other people’s mouths. It’s about reducing how much your wet talking gets into someone else’s face holes, haha Gross but true.

3 Likes

oops…I wrote it backwards…I have been interfacing the lining and doing the nose wire…the nose wire I purchased works really well…since we only have to use our masks for half hour intervals to grocery shop, I have had no problems…the biggest change I have done is the I leave one end open by the ear to turn it inside out…that is the biggest pain to me.

2 Likes

I’d like to see what you mean…

The wires you’re using look great & I have an idea for an easy way to make them removable. It would just take a teensy bit of maths. I’ll order some & work it out. Do you have a link to the shop you got them from? I hope they’ll ship to Canada…

1 Like

I think it’s the same link @EriChanHime shared:

NOSE GUARDS , y’all! Here: https://diymaskusa.com/

I’m also adding to the first post for reference!

2 Likes

I just finished 24 of these child sized masks. I’m contacting my favorite distributor, a woman that works at the local hospital. These will go to the hospital day care and other kids that may or may not be returning to school.

I always use 2 layers of fabric and 2 layers of interfacing. These are lined with flannel, so the extra layer of interfacing is necessary as flannel is a bit loose in weave.

1 Like

I ordered this fruit fly fabric from Spoonflower. Fruit flies are uses for genetic breeding studies. If you look close you can see differences in the wings, eyes, and abdomen segments on the individual flies. These are the traits that geneticists study. I made masks for everyone in our science department and my neighbor, a geneticist. I used @Magpie 's pattern. I can hardly wait to wear this piece of nerdiness!

9 Likes

So awesome!!!

1 Like

Oh, this takes me back. I can almost smell the incubator and the ether. :joy: :crazy_face: Cute masks!

1 Like

The sewing on these is done, I’m just waiting for more shoelaces and PM2.5 charcoal filters to arrive from Amazon tomorrow.

5 Likes

Ooooh, love the witchy fabric in the third one. With the eyes and butterfly wings and skeleton witch.

1 Like

I love the black puffball kitties! XD

1 Like

Ooohhhh…I love the dark blue spiderweb fabric.

1 Like

love that fabric!

Haha. That fabric is so you.

1 Like