Mask-Along

I’m using wire from stash, twisting together 2-4 strands for durability.
I’ve seen some people mention twist ties; I have a couple of reels of plastic coated plant ties that are about the same weight. Seems like it might be too flimsy, though.

I made more masks for my DS who needs them for school.

5 Likes

Oh but the sunflower looks so cool! Love the cactus fabric.

I’ll be working on back to school masks too this week…

2 Likes

I made a few more masks for myself and my husband this week. His are made from scraps of Dungeons & Dragons fabrics I bought on Spoonflower to make him a convention badge holder. Only problem? He shared a pic on his Discord server and now some folks there want them too. Looks like I have to finish my in-progress batch for my mom & I this afternoon, then cut out some more D&D ones.
Creepy Halloween one for my dad:

Blue Dice and Dungeon Map for my husband:

A set of Harry Potter spells masks. One for me, and one will be a prize in the HP Craftalong.

6 Likes

The ouija board fabric is really cool.

Thanks! It came from Joanne’s a few years ago. I think it was one of their brands, rather than a specific designer. I bought a few fabrics for a future Halloween quilt, that I haven’t even picked a pattern for. Just bought fun spooky fabrics. I have 2 yards of this, so plenty to sacrifice a little for a mask and still have enough to work with on a quilt.

Oh wow, I’m loving everyone’s fabrics! My favorites from these last few are the Pokémon and D&D ones!

Meanwhile, here are the masks my mom and I have made since my last post, a day’s batch at a time. These ones include a lot of kid size masks, since both the food bank and a local women’s shelter have requested them.

And here’s the batch of 58 kids’ masks that Mom and I made in a week, which she is delivering to the food bank volunteer coordinator right now!

5 Likes

Finished the in process ones today.
HP Patronus Charms

Sweet strawberries

And cut out 8 more D&D themed ones!

3 Likes

I love both fabrics, @MistressJennie!

I made three more masks for my teacher friend across the hall. He’s a chemistry teacher, so of course I had to make one with beakers. He requested the unicorn to go with his hot pink hair. I can hardly wait to see it on him!

5 Likes

Fabulous fabrics! Love the beakers for the chem teacher, and the placement of the unicorn is perfect!

1 Like

I love that your tie colors coordinate with the fabrics!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A teacher with hot pink hair? I got tossed out of school for having hot pink hair! I am now officially old. Hurrah! I say whatever I want! The masks are beautiful, and he should be very proud to wear them because he’s got an awesome friend.

1 Like

I’ve been making tee shirt yarn out of discarded tees for years now, with the idea that I’d put them to use at some point. I made a rug for @Abbeeroad with a bunch, but I have SO MUCH MORE. Only problem? It’s all in a distinctly Jennie-love color palette. Mostly black, purple, teal and turquoise. A little burgundy and grey. I definitely think it makes the most comfortable masks. No ear strain, and soft on the skin. Plus, upcycling!

Meanwhile I have 8 more D&D themed masks all cut out, and ready to stitch together today. F-yeah, get stuff DONE!

2 Likes

Wow the masks!

We visited with some singing circle friends this last week (properly masked and distanced) and we worked on creating a singing mask. My DW did order one, but it is uncomfortable, rather heavy, and ridiculous looking.

So several prototypes later we may have a winner. One version made a very funny Donald Duck beak! The mask will look silly anyway, but the trick is to have more air volume, something stiff to keep it from sucking into your mouth, and extra layers directly in front to baffle the singer powered possible virus droplets from going very far.

I’ll post when we perfect…with a pattern.

3 Likes

I have to say that I am really in amazement of this group…not only are you making them to keep people from spreading a disease, you are doing so with beautiful crafting and fabrics…

I sent @Abbeeroad some purchased nose wire things to try out and she sent me the cutest little badge. I think it is appropriate to post it here…so darn cute! Thanks…it was an unexpected surprise!.

8 Likes

Yay! I’m glad it made it! I worried about just popping it in the mail.

1 Like

Our mail has been great…but lately, so much junk mail (election stuff, new home owner stuff, dentists, etc.)…we throw everything in a box for a day or two out in the garage since only one of our mail people practices any safety measures…I never thought I would complain about too much mail…lol

Thanks again…I just love that the background is made of mask scraps…I feel connected to others… :heart:

3 Likes

Well I finished a few more today. These are going off to friends.

Haven’t started the school ones or the 10 I’m supposed to make for my FILs work…

3 Likes

For those using interfacing in your masks - what kind are you using? I made one mask with interfacing using what I had on hand (I don’t know what kind it is) and I just couldn’t breath at all though it.

I use the light fusible, 2 layers. Breathability is a bit more restricted, but it’s what was originally recommended by the hospital I make them for. ONe layer would probably work. It’s always a balance between breathability and safety.