Medieval Renaissance gown

I’m in our local SCA group, not because I have much of an interest in history, but because I love dressing up. I particularly love big big big dresses.

This is a16 century style, I like it because you don’t need to wear A veil. Made from thrift shop curtains.

The sleeves were done incorrectly, I realised at the last stitch that had accidentally reversed the fabric from the body, but with all the lining and white puffs and ribbons and aiglets there was no way I was undoing it, so I’m calling it a design choice.

The bodice is boned with cable ties and the whole thing patterned on my body. I actually think the pattern needs some work, but it looks fine and it’s fabulously swishy to wear. Here is worn with a fabric belt.

Here with a fur (also thrift shop) and a white linen partlet (to keep the girls warm)

33 Likes

SAY WHAT NOW???!!! Dude.

This is every inch of incrediballs, wow.

3 Likes

gorgeous! I like that the sleeve fabric is reversed; it adds a layer of opulence.
I see your belt matches his underrobe or trousers? nice touch!

4 Likes

Don’t you look incredible :smiley:

Is it as heavy as it looks? How did these poor ladies survive menopause wearing that amount of fabric!

6 Likes

It’s actually not too bad, my other one of the same design is heavy upholstery weight velvet and that weighs a ton, this is very wearable.

In Ireland castles are cold, so you would be grateful for a hot flush, but in southern Italy-i can’t imagine!!

6 Likes

Those of us who do SCA stateside have a tendency to point out that most of the giant dresses people like so much are from northern europe during the little ice age. (it’s also a lot harder to find some of the super light-weight wools & linens these days… Tropical weight wool is actually bearable under excessively warm conditions, for instance.)

4 Likes

Nice! The sleeve contrast definitely looks intentional. :wink:

3 Likes

I love the design choice!

1 Like

Makes sense, but honestly some of the older houses I’ve been in, not to mention castles, I would welcome all the layers, and that’s with global warming. They are cooooolllldddd

1 Like

drools :heart_eyes: I am so jealous! I want your dress! Gorgeous! I couldn’t tell the sleeves were done wrong. I love the sleeves!

1 Like

This is amazing! Truly stunning my friend.

1 Like

How cool! Looks like such fun to dress up, too.

1 Like

Holy moly, this is absolutely amazing!!! I waaaaants it! :star_struck:

1 Like

Dressing up is always such fun, I reccomend it.

1 Like

Gorgeous!! Love the sleeves - design choice indeed!

AMAZING! I love that it’s made from someone’s discarded draperies! Such a great use for such fabrics! Poor Brian looks a little plain next your you even with his fancy trims.

1 Like

:sparkles: :tada: :sparkles: Congratulations!! This amazing project is one of this week’s featured projects!! :sparkles: :tada: :sparkles:

1 Like

Wow, this is absolutely incredible! You are an inspiration!!

1 Like

Thank you my lovely friends

@Edel You look FABULOUS!! If you hadn’t said anything about the sleeves, I wouldn’t have noticed. (I might have done something akin to your design choice a time or two in my own costumes. :laughing: )

Now, I have to ask, because I’m the curious type and being a former SCAdian, is the orange belt just a belt or does it signify something? Being from SCA in the U.S. and having not played in over 20 years, I wouldn’t know if belts for apprentices/proteges/squires are different than what I was accustomed to here.

1 Like