Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

Great idea for a craftalong, I have items to be mended on my to do list all the time that I constantly just put off working on. This group will be a great motivator to keep me on my game!

1 Like

I only mend hiking socks. Store bought socks are usually so thin they are impossible to mend. Iā€™ve got some sock wool in my stash and have knitted socks before but they end up wonky.

I have made a quilt out of used jeans and itā€™s on our bed all winter long. Itā€™s super comfortable because of the weight. The batting is a cheap fleece blanket. Iā€™ve also made an apron from used jeans for Mr Imma. The latest used jeans project is faux cathedral windows quilt blocks. There may be pictures in the dead place but Iā€™ll take new ones this week. Never say to people youā€™re crafting with old jeans because people will dump dozens. Especially donā€™t tell your friend with a husband and three adult sons at home!

6 Likes

I follow Tom of Holland (my favorite visible mender), and I appreciate your own sweater work. Good stuff.

\m/

2 Likes

@geekgirl you boro the heck outta that sucker and keep on truckin!

3 Likes

I have had a jean cathedral window blanket on my ā€œto craftā€ list for over a year. I keep telling myself to finish other projects before starting a new one though. Looking forward to seeing pictures of yours.

3 Likes

My first mending of the year and for this craftalong! I fixed the handle on my mug, so no need to get another. :purple_heart:

17 Likes

@AIMR Iā€™m glad Iā€™m not the only one who canā€™t wear my own knit socks! :rofl:

1 Like

I read that as ā€œTom Hollandā€ and was like - heā€™s a good actor!

2 Likes

@AcadianDriftwood I love this fix and would never have thought of it myself. It looks great, itā€™s an insulator for when the drink inside the cup is hot enough to heat up the handle, and that mug is far too gorgeous to replace. Good one!

3 Likes

@Immaculata this is so true! Iā€™ve had people bring me worn out garments ā€œfor the fabricā€, oh my gosh, NO!
I make things with fabric scraps and people think I also want to make things with their scraps. No, I do not! Not unless they are really fabulous, thank you but no. I have far more than I could ever use in my own stash, lol.

3 Likes

Well, to be fair, Tom Holland IS a good actor. And dancer! (If you havenā€™t seen the videos, go look. Weā€™ll wait.)

2 Likes

@Magpie

I do. I do want their scraps.

4 Likes

I saw the YouTube clip of when he was on lip sync battle doing Rihannaā€™s umbrella song. He was fantastic. I didnā€™t recognize him at first.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a few years, but apparently he used to club quite often. And there are many clips of him showing off his moves.

Tom of Holland, on the other hand, is also amazing, but shares techniques how to seamlessly blend new with old. So also showing off his moves.

Both Toms are pretty swanky.

1 Like

Iā€™m very excited to see this thread! And Iā€™m looking forward to following along and hopefully getting to try some new kinds of mending myself this year!

1 Like

I LOVE visible mending! My friend just did a really cute mending job on her jeans, I donā€™t think sheā€™s joined yet though. (She was klum78 before)

3 Likes

That turned out great! Iā€™m glad itā€™s back on tea duty.

I would love to be more sustainable in 2020!

Itā€™s easy to replace most everyday items because the mass-produced items are rarely made to last, but I am going to make a conscious effort to find alternative uses for these items.

I am often tasked with fixing rips and tears in much-loved stuffies (my niece and nephew will never find replacements for them) and itā€™s a joy to help them preserve their favourite toys.

Reading through all the posts in this thread has been inspiring. I canā€™t wait to see where this takes us in 2020 :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes! I want in, too! Currently trying to pick the best way to mend a hole in my jeansā€¦I hope your friend shares, Mare - I could use some inspiration. :slight_smile:

Haha, I do this almost daily in my house. My one daughter now asks me to stitch stuffies even when they donā€™t need it! Thereā€™s a Peppa Pig with random pink stitches along random seams just to pacify her. :wink:

5 Likes

I think you would all enjoy this blog - someone who restores damaged and/or vintage stuffed toys. (Mostly for function, not like, antique restoration)

5 Likes