Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

This speaks to me, Lol. my daughter has only 2 paper books she is allowed to freely interact with and they are getting taped in new ways every week! I’m pretty sure they are now considered collages (or maybe even masterboards) rather than book pages hahahahaha

5 Likes

I had this woven trivet I made I think before my son was born so over 10 years ago, but it was coming unraveled and was lopsided…I stitched it with a zig zag akin to the coiled bowl technique. I’m not sure if I fixed the lopsided ness or made it worse, haha, but it’s not unraveling anymore! Hopefully I’ll get many more years out of it.

13 Likes

That’s awesome! It looks great.

1 Like

How is everyone doing? My mending pile is getting bigger and bigger but I don’t seem to be able to find the time to tackle it.

2 Likes

My mending pile is The resident blob in the dining room- kind of like Marjorie The Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock lol i’ve been taping and retaping the same picture books fairly regularly but i need to tackle the clothes pile before i need to name it and start setting a plate for it for dinner.
:wink:

8 Likes

I found new victims for the mending pile while unpacking. It’s a thin machine knit sweater and I’m tempted to just needle felt any holes shut and call it good enough. I have wool that’s very close to the right color.

I still see moths from time to time. They better not be nesting somewhere!

3 Likes

Oh, poor picture book! :frowning:

I finally cut the fraying sides off our mattress pad and used old underwear elastic on the corners instead. It doesn’t stay put as well as when new, but it’s not too bad, and isn’t coming apart anymore.
image image image

7 Likes

It has been well, well, WELL loved. But by someone who has yet to fully grasp the concept of paper page turning. :baby:t2:

Hearing a page tear sends shivers down my spine but it makes me happy that she loves to read so much… and we have plenty of tape!

6 Likes

My favourite books all show signs of wear and tear (no signs of carelessness, just well read!) and I don’t really understand book collectors with shelves full of books in pristine condition.

3 Likes

Books should only be in pristine condition when they leave the book shop. Once out in the world, they should gradually deteriorate through use. Some will become more worn than others, of course, but all should have signs of wear.

3 Likes

Yes! Tape is our best friend lately. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I darned 5 holes in 4 socks today. I don’t know what I do to get so many holes in my socks all the time!

3 Likes

Do you use a darning egg type thing or just free hand it? I’ve been coveting the darning mushrooms i see on the internet but wont authorize myself the splurge. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m cheap, I use an old lightbulb…

5 Likes

Genius!

2 Likes

I broke down and bought a mushroom one and it is SO SMALL. I can’t imagine using it for more than a small hole in a sock. I’m totally using @Immaculata 's idea!!!

4 Likes

How small is it? I’ve managed to misplace my mending mushroom, but it works well for sock mending and that size of holes. Maybe there are different sizes.

2 Likes

Love the idea. I always wear out my favorite clothes…or snag them…or put holes in them somehow. I love this idea.

Now I have to pull out my mending pile.

2 Likes

Saved my favorite hairclip with a bit of old electrical wire:

12 Likes

Very clever idea!

1 Like