Mend and maintain for a sustainable 2020

Looks like there’s been plenty of mending going on. Somehow, I forgot about this challenge even after spending the entire month of February patching little boy’s pants. Doh! Then corona hit and obviously we’re not going anywhere, so I was a little grumpy that I had spent hours of crafting time fixing pants to make him fit for public consumption and there was no more public. Grr. But, the patches are holding up, so I guess I should be glad about that. I’ll have to look around and see what else needs to be fixed. June’s challenge is to repurpose something into a new useful thing. I’m sure I’ve got something that qualifies.

5 Likes

I moved my mending pile from on top of the dresser to a basket. But haven’t actually fixed anything yet. Really should get on that…

3 Likes

I’m literally wearing jeans with a big gash in the thigh that i was supposed to mend when it was a small tear last week :roll_eyes: so i hear ya.

4 Likes

What a beautiful treasure your Grandpa made! <3 thanks for sharing it with us!

2 Likes

Typing my reply above motivated me to mend the jeans during HRH’s naptime:

It’s not perfect, but she woke up before i could trim it a bit and I had to put on mah pants! Haha

13 Likes

I love that we get a little peek of the other fabric!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’ve had that fabric since 1996 or 97 when i dressed as The Night Sky for my halloween costume lol

6 Likes

I’ve been turning 2T leggings into shorts. Not really mending, but definitely maintaining and making do!

6 Likes

That’s genius!

2 Likes

I think that still counts!

I lost some weight and I have a few skirts that I need to make smaller. They are pinned, ready to sew hopefully tomorrow.

4 Likes

Ok, here’s a post for accountability. Tomorrow I’m going to attack my mending pile, and I will take in my red skirt and my yellow dress and I will also shorten the lining of my orange skirt because somehow the top skirt has suddenly shrunk by an inch. I don’t know what went wrong because I’ve had it for years.

3 Likes

I haven’t been mending much lately. Not for lack of items in need…

I’ve found a worn patch in the summer pants I’ve been living in lately. The fabric is thin viscose and not Very sturdy. I put my foot through a similar pair of pants when putting them on. Fragile but oh so comfy.

Any ideas how to fix it without damaging the fabric further in the process? The hole is on the inside of the tigh.

1 Like

Holes on the inside of the thigh are always difficult to fix, because that’s where you get most wear (at least with my body shape!). By the time holes start to develop a large area of fabric is getting very thin. I would guess you could probably sew a large patch of fabric to the inside and then stitch along the edges by hand? It does look like the type of fabric that could be damaged by lots of machine stitching over the hole (which is how I repair most holes)

2 Likes

I would put a piece of light-weight fabric on the back & sew it by hand around the flower, and then sew/reweave over the fraying threads. Kind of a lot of work, but possibly worth it if you love the pants.

2 Likes

Here’s my mending muddle of the night:
Are thin “novelty socks” worth trying to mend/comfortable if mended and with what does one mend them? I mean, they’re thin thread-like strands rather than nice woolen socks. But I love the ridiculous witch hat pattern… one has a hole in the toe and the other has a worn out heel with 3 holes (i’m rough on socks, apparently.) I’d show a pic but I’m wearing them (naturally) and am not showing you my dirty laundry. (This time)
You’re welcome. Haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I’ve done toes where I just kind of re-stitched holes along the seam, but my favorite novelty socks just tend to get worn threadbare until I give up.

Maybe there could be some other use for the witch hat bit?

1 Like

What I’ve done before is patch thin socks with pieces of other old thin socks (sewing on the patch by hand from the inside) that works better than trying to darn such thin material.

2 Likes

Thanks, friends!

2 Likes

Oh, interesting! I’ll have to try that.

2 Likes

Depends how thin they are… I’ve darned storebought socks with embroidery floss split so it’s just one or two strands left.

3 Likes