Mermaid scrapplique

This was going to be a quick, easy project; a cover for my sewing machine. But, like Ike and Tina, I never, ever do anything nice and easy.

It was going to be all machine-stitched 1/2" wide strips of fabric, but at some point, I decided to use buttons for her tail instead. Purple buttons, actually, but the mother of pearl (MOP) seemed so apropro. This is very nearly my entire collection of vintage MOP buttons. I just have a handfull of those dull shirt buttons left. That’s a victory right there; I love these buttons, and now I get to look at them!

Some of the buttons ( the more modern yellow and green ones) are ridiculously fragile; I broke several along the way. That means this can’t be practical, so not a machine cover, but yet another wall hanging.

I came up with a new technique for the tail fin; narrow triangles of fabric stitched down the center, very close together. Great texture. Since the tail was going to be purple, I did the fin in purple. This caused a monumental unbalance of colors, since it was the only purple in the piece.

so I added some swirls. You know me, right? There are about 4 layers of purple threads in those swirls, the top one being a length of red and white holiday twine dyed purple. I tend to use whatever comes to hand…

This is from a couple of days ago, when I first thought I was done, but the purple tailfin was an issue.

see how the lower left corner is kind of pale and blah when compared to the upper right?

And I love these 3 huge mother of pearl buttons I’ve hoarded for over 20 years, and finally had a place to use them! Sadly, they disappeared in the project, and diluted the effect of the swirls, so they went back into stash.

The fringe is a mix of orange mother of pearl chunks from a broken bracelet alternating with purple amethyst and crystal beads. I had pulled a whole pile of aqua beads to use for fringe, but…

21 Likes

That looks amazing!

1 Like

She certainly took over! Sometimes your creations do that, just ride the wave! She is stunning.

1 Like

Your scrappy art is always stunning. This is absolutely beautiful. Youre a true artist!

2 Likes

She’s beaUti-ful! What a clever way to utilize these MOP buttons! Brilliant!

1 Like

Thanks, all!

Absolutely gorgeous!!

1 Like

Oh, wow! This is stunning! The MOP buttons were such a perfect choice for her tail. Makes her look even more aquatic. And the swirls were a genius way to pull all the colors together.

1 Like

This is just amazing! I can’t :heart: it enough! The MOP, the colour balance, that hair!

1 Like

Stunning work! :mermaid:

1 Like

Wow! Love the button tail and her fins!! Gorgeous work.

1 Like

This mermaid is wonderful.
Thank you for sharing some of your journey to the final composition, it’s so interesting to understand the thought that goes into the work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everything about this is stunning. Those buttons, ack! Love love love!

1 Like

The colors and all the swirls are so beautiful. What a stunning piece.

1 Like

glorious! It does look like a lot of work, but definitely worth it. :green_heart:

1 Like

this is amazing!

1 Like

This is so cool! What an inspiring use of those MOP buttons!

1 Like

:sparkles: :shell: :mermaid: Congratulations! Your marvelous Mermaid Scrappliqueis a Featured Project! :mermaid: :shell: :sparkles:

2 Likes

woohoo! Thank you!

You did such a great job creating motion in this piece. Her hair looks like it’s floating in the water all around her. You have quite the talent for creating unique fabric collages. I didn’t realize just what an impact the purple swirls had in the overall finish of the piece until I saw the before picture without them. You’re right, they really pull the whole thing together!

1 Like