Mini chaise lounge

I was crafting a surprise for the amazing @kittykill in the Ongoing Wish Swap, and I thought I’d have a go at a miniature. It was so much fun!!! I can see how tiny things could be addictive…

I made her a little chaise lounge, with a matching table, and a little tray of letters.

The cushions are reversible, to go with different colour schemes.

I didn’t think to take process pics. It was all just stuff I had in the house. I looked at a few pictures of chaise lounges, and tried to come up with a simplified shape that wouldn’t be too fiddly for a newbie miniature furniture maker.

The chaise was a piece of dense packing foam, carved and folded into shape, stuck with toothpicks and glue. It’s about 5-6 inches long I think. The cushions are sewn 1 inch square. I painted wooden beads for the feet, and a matching wooden cotton reel for the table. Watercolour for the tiny letters.

Thanks for looking!

27 Likes

Those cushions are fabulous! I love the ‘buttons’ in the centres :heart_eyes:
I’m yet to venture into miniature making but I can see the addiction!

1 Like

It’s amazing!

1 Like

Lovely! great job for a first piece of miniature furniture!

2 Likes

Beautiful job! I love this! I’d be interested to know how you made it!

1 Like

I bet those tiny cushions were like potato chips…hard to stop at just one! So cute and so much variety…@kittykill can change her decor whenever she likes! It looks to be the perfect spot for a cup of tea, lounging while reading those letters! Beautiful and creative!

2 Likes

Seriously adorable.

1 Like

Thanks everybody! :grinning:

The main thing was I drew a rough shape on the foam. Rectangular base, with the back and side attached. Then I carved it out with a craft knife - rounded the edges, and cut deep V-grooves in the line where the back and the side meet the base. Then I folded it into place and glued and pinned with toothpicks. Snipped the extra bits off the toothpicks after it dried, then covered with fabric (and a little batting on the back and side for extra curviness). The foam was very dense and rigid packing foam, I think it wouldn’t have worked with anything bouncy or bendy.

I wish I took a couple of pics now. It would probably be easier to describe the details in a conversation where I can use my hands to describe it - maybe next time we’re in a Zoom together!

Haha - true!! I don’t think I want to collect miniatures myself, but it was loads of fun making lots of tiny cushions and letters :love_letter:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! :heart::heart:

1 Like

So dang adorable and just SO kittykill! The tray of letters and the change-able pillows are sooooo her!

2 Likes

how inviting this is. gorgeous pieces and I adore the addition of the wee letters, waiting to be read as the person lounges.

1 Like

That is amazing, especially for a first miniature! So cute!

1 Like

That’s amazing!
Looks like you’ve been making miniatures for years.
I love all of it, but the little table and the throw pillows are my favorite parts.

1 Like

It is all so wonderful but the spool stool! :thread: fantastic Borrowers reuse!

1 Like

Congrats! Your project was one of the best of 2021! You are awesome!

2 Likes

Very nice! :blue_heart:

1 Like