Mini Gnome/Dwarf project (On going)

This started out as a gift for my mother for Christmas. Having grown up always putting up the ceramic Christmas village out every year made me want to make my own version, for her. But now it has taken on a life of its own. I am still far from completing the project but I would like to share the progression, so far.

Ultimately my goal is to make enough to sell on the side. Let me know what you think.

These, below, are my own version:

I will be updating occasionally so stay tuned!

This is the picture that gave me the inspiration to make these little guys. I wish I could give credit but idk who made these.

25 Likes

Love the dudes in the black bowlers!

1 Like

What a lot of characters!
Be fun to use game pieces, like chess pawns, for their hats.

2 Likes

That is a really good idea! Thank for the suggestion. I already planned on making crowns for a king and queen. The females will be a challenge though. I want them to be less furry lol

Thank you! I like the bowler hat as well. The guy is meant to be a dirty looking chimney sweep. My favorite hat though is the dark blue top hat. I’m not sure how well you can tell but it’s supposed to resemble an old collapsing Top hat.

One thing I should mention is that the hats and noses are not glued on and can be interchangeable with other hats and noses. Making them very customizable. They are toothpicked to the body. Which is handy because if you ever lose the tooth pick you can just grab a fresh one from the cupboard!

6 Likes

How fascinating. What keeping all the hair stay together?

1 Like

Depending on what material you’d use for the body, you could use most adhesives. But I’m using foam board and found hot glue works the best. Super glue just ate through the foam. And Elmer’s took so long and made such a mess that it gave them permanent bedhead. Just make sure not to touch end of the gun to the foam. That’ll melt it too! I started out calling these Cousin It’s cousins. But I’ve decided to call them very hairy dwarfs.

This is the Dwarf with Elmer’s bedhead. Maybe I should’ve kept him and called him Elmer, hah.

3 Likes

These are the gnomes that I made. These were made before I started working with faux fur. Except for the last one of course.

8 Likes

These are the coolest!

1 Like

Thank you very much! Eventually I’m going to try to figure out a way to sell these. If you’d like, I can DM you when I get the store up and running? It’s gonna be very customizable!

1 Like

Now introducing black and brown beards!

4 Likes

Do you see a resemblance?

3 Likes

:hotdog: Hot diggity dog! Your awesome craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations!!! :tada:

1 Like

For real? That’s pretty awesome! Thank you all for being so supportive! I welcome all constructive criticism and ideas. And if I use your idea I’ll be more than happy to credit you. I’ve got more faux fur coming tomorrow and Friday and I’m excited to keep making new ideas. Sometime soon I’ll be satisfied with what I’ve designed and start mass producing it (or at least as quickly as my fingers can move.) You’re all witness to me trying to start a business and I don’t know if I could do this all without your support! I’m just one guy. So thank you all!

1 Like

I was imagining them being much bigger from the original picture. I think it’s neater that they are small. Very cute.

2 Likes

I’m glad you think so! I’m going to have a village made for them, so they need to be small! Eventually I’ll start working on them. But I’m not finished coming up with ideas for these little guys.

1 Like

You know what time it is.

2 Likes

Feathers anyone?

2 Likes