Mini junk journal from real junk

Not exactly complete, as I’ll keep adding to it, but I present you… my true junk mini junk journal, made from plastic that would have gone in the garbage, with these ring things that have been sitting in a drawer for too many years.

Inside will be pieces of paper too small to recycle, along with bits and bobs that I’ll glue onto said pieces–all stuff that would otherwise end up in the garbage :slight_smile:

11 Likes

cute concept! :smile:

1 Like

Lovely idea! Can’t wait to see how you fill it.

2 Likes

Way to be creative and save a landfill. I bet it will be neat, and so eclectic, when full!

2 Likes

That’s some nice plastic! Will this be your first mini junk journal?

1 Like

I like the idea of build-as-you-go!

1 Like

This is my first junk journal of any kind :blush:

1 Like

Here are the bits and bobs I’m prepping for the mini junk journal.

Library checkout receipts and bits of junk mail make up most of the “background” papers. Then I glued bits and pieces of paper, backs of stickers, and other random bits, before adding gesso. I’ll likely do some painting and/or more glueing before adding these to the mini journal.

The “background” for the one below came from the back of a stamp booklet, and then I glued a picture of a dolphin from a Costco magazine. The “water” the dolphin is on is from the surrounding paper from which I cut the dolphin.

The “pages” will be double sided.

2 Likes

The white swirls look like waves. I like how you have the 9-grid laid out for sequential designing. I know you’re having fun. Great way to clean out all of the collected, scavenged bits and ephemera. Looking forward to seeing your completed project!

1 Like

I can’t take credit for the white swirls—the back of the stamp booklet was already gorgeous, and included them :slight_smile: I couldn’t just put that beautiful art in the garbage :heart: It’s not recyclabe either, because the other side of it has the “sticker backing” material. So I’m making new art with it :heart:

1 Like

Very cool way to upcycle!

1 Like

I also have some scavenged stamp booklet covers. :smiling_face: Carry on!

1 Like

This is such a fun way to use up totally useful bits that would otherwise be trash.

1 Like

What a fantastic creative project! That’s so great to work totally from repurposed materials - an inspiration!

1 Like