Monkey Ice Cream

I received an ice cream maker as a gift, so I’ve made a few batches of ice cream recently. (May not make any more for a while, since the temperature is in the process of dropping into single digits!)
:cold_face:

The first batch was a riff on Ben and Jerry’s Chunky Monkey, with bananas and walnuts and pieces of fudge. For the second batch (pictured above), my son requested “just monkey”, so we left out the nuts and fudge (but have been adding chocolate syrup, as you can see.)

:monkey: :monkey_face: :monkey: :monkey_face: :monkey: :monkey_face: :monkey: :monkey_face: :monkey: :monkey_face:

Monkey Ice Cream

INGREDIENTS
6 TBSP Egg Beaters (or 2 pasteurized eggs)
2/3 cup sugar
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 cup whole milk (don’t substitute lower-fat; I used lactose free to reduce the overall lactose load)
2 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP vodka
2 TBSP light corn syrup
Optional: a pinch of salt
2 over-ripe bananas, well-mashed
Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 TBSP)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts for “chunky” version
Optional: 1/2- 2/3 cup chopped fudge for “chunky” version (can substitute chocolate chips)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Beat the Egg Beaters or eggs along with the sugar. If using raw eggs, beat until light in color.

2. Add the whipping cream, milk, vanilla, vodka, and corn syrup. (The vodka and corn syrup help prevent the ice cream from getting as rock-hard when stored in your freezer.) If you prefer a less-sweet-tasting ice cream, add a pinch of salt.

3. Put this mixture into the ice cream maker and begin churning, following manufacturer’s instructions. I churn mine for one hour.

4. While the ice cream churns, prepare the other ingredients. If doing the “chunky” version, chop the walnuts and chocolate.

5. Using a fork (or other method if you prefer), thoroughly mash the bananas. Mix the lemon juice into the bananas (this keeps them from turning brown, and adds to the flavor.)

6. Five minutes before the churning cycle is done, add the banana mixture to the ice cream. (Just the bananas; not the chunky bits.) Then churn the remaining five minutes.

7. If doing the chunky version: when churning is complete, put the ice cream in a medium-large bowl and use a spoon to mix in the nuts and chocolate.

This makes a generous one quart. In my machine, it overflows once I add the bananas and makes a bit of a mess. I actually use packing tape to keep the ice cream contained. You can churn it in two batches if you like.

1. Put the ice cream into (a) container(s) and put it in the freezer to finish hardening. It’s best to store the ice cream in the door of your freezer. It’s a tad warmer there, which helps prevent the ice cream from getting too hard. If the ice cream seems too hard anyway, take it out of the freezer 5-10 minutes before serving.
11 Likes

Yum! I like your take on a classic.

1 Like

Oooo! Yum!

1 Like

How cool!! Sounds absolutely delicious, even in this cold weather!

1 Like

That sounds/looks delicious!

1 Like

Thanks, friends! It’s really yummy.

Looks yummy! and “just Monkey” is a terrific name :monkey_face:

1 Like

Yummm! An ice cream maker might have to find its way onto my Christmas wish list next year….:yum:

1 Like

Homemade icecream is always amazing! This looks scrumptious.

1 Like

:sparkles: :heart: :icecream: Congratulations! Your Marvelous Monkey Ice Cream is a Featured Project this week! :icecream: :heart: :sparkles:

1 Like

Thanks!

LOVE ice cream but gave away my electric ice cream churn in favor of cooking stovetop ice cream mixtures and mousses/ices. Love your dessert name. I would like Monkey Banana too!

1 Like