Mosaic Guitar

My friend has had a broken guitar in her garage for years. She’s always wanted to make it into a planter, but the time never came around. So, for her birthday this year, I stole it, crafted it, and totally surprised her. :partying_face:

Honestly, I had no idea what I was doing and just kind of went with what felt right + used mostly leftover supplies I had on-hand, so a tutorial probably wouldn’t be the best idea. :joy: In the end, it turned out okay, though, so yay!

Poor broken baby.

Brainstorming placement.

Arranging tiles and using Liquid Nails to adhere everything.

Grouting day! I used a premixed charcoal grout I had in my stash. I really like it because it shimmers a bit in the sun.

Decided it needed a little more sparkle, so found some geodes from our adventures & attached those as well (Liquid Nails).

Grabbed a random spider plant I had for photos, but think a small fern or String of Pearls plant will be better suited. :potted_plant:

Had a bottle of this really fun crushed glass in my stash, so used it to hide the crack in the broken head. It added even more sparkle, too. :grin:

28 Likes

How cool, and such a nice gift!

2 Likes

Very cool! Love using all the found stuff around the house, it really comes together.

3 Likes

So awesome! I love the idea of putting a plant in the center. What an awesome surprise!!!

2 Likes

Looks great! Bet she loves it!

2 Likes

This turned out so cool. It’s definitely a show piece!

3 Likes

What a super cool idea, and it turned out wonderful! Wouldn’t it be fun to pick up a bunch of garage-sale musical instruments and turn them all into planters? Sax, drums, trumpet…

2 Likes

This is spectacular! Such a great way to keep something broken but that holds such memories of play. I love it!

2 Likes

Excellent repurpose!

2 Likes

This is so neat! Did you gift it already? I’m interested in the reaction you got.

(Edit: I just reread and saw the “…totally surprised her…” so that answers that.)

@Edel check it out!

3 Likes

There was a bit of stuttering… “Wait, how…did you? When…did you??” :laughing: She is a ceramics teacher at a local high school, so is going to take it to work with her to show the other art teachers & her students. :heart:

3 Likes

Wow @sweets4ever this is fabulous, excellent save off the guitar

2 Likes

So pretty. Mr. Squared and I were just discussing the other day how a planter can be made out of virtually anything.

2 Likes

That is amazeballs! It would look awesome hanging on a wall with string of pearls, ot string of turtles is a nice one too.

1 Like

I thought that would be a beautiful option as well! I love those.

1 Like

This is really neat! I love that you took her idea and ran with it. What a fun surprise! The tiles on the side are the perfect finishing effect. Did you have to cut them down to size?

2 Likes

I can attest to their ease of care! The little pot I have is thriving despite my less than green thumb.

1 Like

This is fabulous! Such an inspiring project!

2 Likes

No, I didn’t nip or cut a single tile. :grimacing: I’m sure my design could have been much more intricate, if I had, but maybe next time. :smile:

3 Likes

This is stunning!

1 Like