Mosaic Maze Throw

In 2021, I have challenged myself to actually MAKE a bunch of things I’ve had in my head for a while. My first finished project is this throw blanket, that is an actual maze with an entry and exit point and a solution. It uses the mosaic crochet technique and Lion Brand Thick & Quick yarn. I will probably release the pattern once I get it charted correctly (I just worked off a graph of the maze). I used a random maze generator to create the maze graph, and was inspired by an old Atari game, Maze Craze, though the screen size for the game was too small for the size throw I wanted. I plan on making a baby-sized blanket and little stuffed minotaur, as well.

54 Likes

This is super cool!

2 Likes

This is incredible!! I absolutely love it, and look forward to seeing the pattern if you get it done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This is awesome! My kids would have a field day trying to solve the maze. It looks like it’d be hard to crochet all those changes!

3 Likes

The mosaic technique uses alternating rows of color and a dc in the row below type of thing so you don’t actually have to do any color changes except on the beginnings of each row. The one tough thing about it is that every row is worked on the right side, so you have to cut the yarn at the end of every row, leaving a LOT of ends to work in. I highly recommend the technique, as it really made this possible for me.

https://youtu.be/HTigdTvdTLQ

This lady does a fantastic job of teaching the technique.

The other great thing about the technique is that the back side is just stripes. The back of the work when doing traditional color changes always looks a little weird to me, so on an object with a very visible wrong side, like a blanket or scarf, the plain stripes are awesome.

7 Likes

This is epic. I love it!

2 Likes

A-Maze-Ing! There… someone had to say it :wink: I actually guessed that this was one of your creations before I opened the post. It’s just fantastic and I love that it’s an actual maze! I might have to level up my crochet game so I can make one once you release the pattern.

4 Likes

My mom said the same thing on my facebook post. :laughing:

4 Likes

Whoa! I could stare at that for a long time. I kind of want a little red dot to move along the path. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow, this is awesome! How long did it take to finish it?

2 Likes

WOW, this is amazing! That term came to mind before I realized the pun :smiley:

3 Likes

Stunning!

2 Likes

That is incredible, wow! Will you sell this pattern? I imagine it would be quite popular.

3 Likes

this is seriously impressive!

2 Likes

I thought about ways I could provide something to help solve the maze, like a long red cord or something. But I couldn’t really think of anything that seemed quite right. Ideally, you’d want something that also marked your previous path, but that’s not really feasible here. I decided to just leave it to the person who is getting this blanket to decide IF they want to solve it, and if so, how. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks! I downloaded the maze generator app on January 8, so that’s when I started the pattern. So, just under a month including the design process, but I was also dividing my time between this throw and both a knitting project and some painting projects. It’s in such a big gauge that it really goes very quickly.

3 Likes

Thanks! I was thinking I’d put a couple dollars on this one. I tend to end up pulishing my patterns for free, but I would also like to start moving toward making a LITTLE money off it, if possible, so I need to pick patterns to sell, even if I still give away some or most. I felt like this one might be a good candidate for a low sticker price.

4 Likes

What the actual what. This is such a cool idea and design, and you’ve found the solution to the universal struggle between coziness and puzzle solving. I’m also super interested in learning your color switching technique!

2 Likes

The idea is super cool and I love the look of it. Making a baby one with a minotaur is hilarious!

4 Likes

This is so much fun! I love the black and white and the fact that it’s functional and fun. And it looks so warm and thick and snuggly.

1 Like