Mount Fuji in thread

I was born in Yokohama, Japan and have gone back a few times to visit. I also collect Japanese wood block prints and art. This image came across my feed when I was researching a virtual race that takes you to Mount Fuji and the surrounding area.

I was also very interested in trying my hand at landscape embroidery after seeing the beautiful ones done by @geekgirl…her Northern Lights embroidery were appealing and very much in a style I like.

Here is my first landscape piece with the image I used for inspiration:

And, a close up of the zillion of stabbing stiches you need to do one of these!

I used a piece of shibori fabric sent to me in a swap…it is sort of a fuzzy flannel, which I thought worked well with the style and kept me from having to fill in the entire hoop.

30 Likes

That is stunning Linda! It evokes the feeling of the print without trying to be a direct copy. I love the energy it has :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks! It is hard to see in the picture, but the reddish yarn has some glitter…it is the new DMC etouile thread…so much easier to work with than straight metallic thread…I thought I would mix it up a bit, because as you said, a direct copy is just not what I was going for…just the feeling… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is freaking fantastic!

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

This is soooo pretty! I love it!

2 Likes

Beautiful work. I love the texture too.

2 Likes

It’s gorgeous! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I really need to try this style of embroidery, too, because I am in love with GG’s northern lights and now I am in love with your Mt. Fiji!

Very excellent!

2 Likes

I want to try a beach scene next, but mountains definitely are the way to start…and there are so many cool mountains all over the world!

2 Likes

It came out so beautiful!!! I knew you’d get it done and do a wonderful job. Bravo!!

3 Likes

This is wonderful Linda! I agree, the background fabric you chose really adds to the design.

1 Like

Oooh! Those stitches worked so perfectly for the way the clouds look in the original picture! Wonderful piece! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So beautiful. I have a stitchy mountain from you, on antique kimono fabric no less. It’s hanging right here in the living room with me, I love it.

4 Likes

I’m doing one of the virtual races around Cape Breton (an island close to me)

2 Likes

I love those races because you do them on your own terms…I did the entire Edgar Allan Poe series a few years ago and have addicted since! It makes doing some exercise tolerable to me…at least there is a goal! lol Happy racing!

2 Likes

Beautiful! I love the lights on the water.
On the close up, the mountain looks a bit like rice (or maybe I’m just hungry).

2 Likes

I thought they looked like rice as well! I think I just got into making my stitches a bit small…when I look closely at landscapes done like this, there are larger stitches and also directional blocks…I am sure over time, it will get easier and better…but, funny that we both so rice! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Your hoop is pettier than the original inspiration photo! Beautiful!

2 Likes

These textures are glorious!

1 Like