Mushroom forest inspiration flag

Made for @Harlan in the recent flag swap.
The hanger is copper wire from the hardware store, bent & hammered flat to make it strong & keep it’s shape.

She’s such a wonderfully talented artist, I really wanted to send her something she’d like and when I saw “mushrooms” as one of her themes, well…
The funny thing is, she sent me an amazing flag in a very similar theme! We were thinking alike as we crafted for one another. I hope she’ll make a topic for her creation, it’s lovely.

I went with a classic sort of forest floor with leaves, bugs, & a snail. The stringy bits & cobweb are a piece of cheesecloth fused between the front & back layers of fabric & draped over one corner at the top. Strands are very loosely stitched into place to form the web, the spider’s embroidered with sewing thread. The other bugs & snail are felt pieces sewn down & embroidered over.

I started out with free-motion machine embroidered ferns but they ended up mostly covered over with fussy cut batik leaves fused on & embellished with embroidery in lots of different greens.
The back has some little mushrooms from a previous project just for cuteness

20 Likes

Love it, especially the rootlike thread fringe!

3 Likes

This is GORGEOUS.

2 Likes

It’s amazingly beautiful!!!

It is a lot more like the sketch I did for the project than ultimately the way I complete the one I made which makes the two prayer flags even more in harmony! :smiley:

1 Like

I think this is realy wondeful…the colors rather sec and then the red with white Mushroom…With the colored background…love it…Nice composition.

2 Likes

Ooohh this is fabulous!!!

2 Likes

This is just absolutely amazing my friend. You knocked it out of the park!

3 Likes

I cannot express how much I love this. You took it to the next level. Everything about this is gorgeous. The textures, the tiny details, the colors, the metalwork, every single stitch. Stunning. You’re such an inspiration to push myself further and craft better.

4 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful! You really , really took this to the next level!!!

2 Likes

This is so absolutely amazing and really stunning. The time and care you put into this really show. What a treasure!

3 Likes

It is amazing and I get to see it every day!!! :mushroom: :heart: :leaves: :spider_web: :leaves: :heart: :mushroom:

2 Likes

:scissors: :mushroom: :thread: Congratulations! Your Mushroom Forest Prayer Flag is a Featured Project this week! :thread: :mushroom: :scissors:

2 Likes

This is absolutely gorgeous - the colours, the fabric, the stitching, the velvet, all the thoughtful details - spectacular!!

2 Likes

Jemimah said it perfectly!

This is absolutely gorgeous - the colours, the fabric, the stitching, the velvet, all the thoughtful details - spectacular!!

2 Likes

This is so BEAUTIFUL. You really picked the perfect colors to make this little nature scene. Your attention to detail made the texture on this so great, right down to the beads on the mushroom and the little bees. SOOOO amazing!

3 Likes