Mushroom Hat

My daughter was invited to go foraging for mushrooms with some friends to celebrate a birthday (with a proper guide who knows her mushrooms). So, obviously, she needed a mushroom hat.
I went at it in my mother’s style - looked up some inspiration and tutorials online, dug through stash for materials and wing it with wild abandon and lots of glee.
Here’s the resulting mushroom child:

Started with some pizza boxes, which were the biggest pieces of sturdy cardboard I could find. Created a huge disk and had fun trying it on and not fitting through doorways. So the circle was trimmed down a bit at a time, until it was an acceptable size for the kid.

Made the insides of the hat from more strips of pizza box, and the larger arches for the mushroom dome from a produce delivery box. Staples and hot glue hold these things in place.

Some ribbed white fabric for the under side of the mushroom (and more hot glue).

A huge round of red fabric for the top, with a bit of batting inside to give it a better shape. I did a running stitch all around the fabric and pulled it tight. Then sort of folded up the left over edges and sewed them all around.
Added a fabric strap to tie the hat if needed (good idea, as it was pretty windy that day).
As is traditional, this was completed about an hour before the event, and there was much joy!

27 Likes

This is very clever, and the finished product looks great!

2 Likes

Probably the best thing I have seen on the internet today! wow!

What a cool way to use stuff you had…I hope the mushroom fairies blessed all of them with lots of edible mushrooms!

1 Like

Haha, that turned out great! Such a great job and love the use of things around the house.

1 Like

This mushroom hat is an utter delight! Thanks for sharing the construction details!

1 Like

They actually didn’t find much, but they had plenty of other stuff for a fun picnic anyway.
Her shoes did gather a lot of mud…

1 Like

This is adorable!

1 Like

LOL! This is fantasatic. I bet your daughter was a hit!

2 Likes

This is so much fun! Being the awesome mother to supply such an amazing hat definitely makes you the coolest!

2 Likes

I was hoping you’d post the finished hat. Beautiful daughter wearing it.

1 Like

this is amazing!

:trophy: Mother of the Year!

2 Likes

This is amazing!

1 Like

This one sentence makes me smile :smiling_face:. I love that that was the conclusion you came to, because this hat is so much fun!

2 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words :slight_smile:
I do tell my daughter that I’m the best mom she has (and sometimes I tell her I’m the most annoying mom she has, it balances out).

3 Likes

This is just so cool!! It’s not easy to get cardboard hats to sit/fit nicely, but it looks like you achieved it spectacularly!

1 Like

I’ll bet everyone who went foraging with her took a selfie wearing that hat. Amazing!

2 Likes

:mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses: Well, lookie here! Your cool craft is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congratulations! :mag_right: :eyes: :telescope: :eyeglasses:

1 Like

Too cute!

1 Like

This is inspired! Such a fun idea!

…. And now you almost have a costume complete for Halloween! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

We have Purim and three cons before Halloween, it will probably see some use :slight_smile:

1 Like