My Corona Quilt - or How to use up 80% of your fabric stash

I blame this post on @sloth003 and @Edel :wink: Keep on inspiring and busting stash ladies!

Both have been prolific lately in posting scrappy quilt projects. I am a huge lover of scrappy projects myself, but it has been a long time since I have felt inspired to poke around my fabric stash. And it is exactly because of that reason that I thought it would be a smart idea to use as much of it up as I could to make a new quilt for my queen bed that badly needs a new quilt top (our old one is made for a twin bed maybe? and is not at all adequate for 2 people - Iā€™m over it!).

Most of these fabrics were less than a 1/4 of a yard because for a while I was really into TM patches, so itā€™s nice to use them up so I now have a reason to buy new fabric :joy: I also picked the pattern because @sloth003 did it recently and I looked at that and thoughtā€¦ā€œitā€™s just strips sewn togetherā€¦maybe I can do that too.ā€

The finished beast - easily fits over my queen mattress, itā€™s approximately 88" x 88" and is finished with tie quilting (I didnā€™t want to try to drag that through my sewing machine).

Here are some progress picturesā€¦

And close ups. I put some arrows to point out some fabrics I got from other people over the years: @Abbeeroad gave me some of her beautiful dyed fabric scraps, @Edel and I did a swap for printed fabric years ago and Iā€™m still using them up, @smashu and I swapped on a Fabric Printing swap I hosted on deadster years ago and Iā€™m still using her beautiful prints, and thereā€™s also one from kawaiihelen from deadster (I donā€™t know if she made the transition here) that I love too. Thereā€™s more but I canā€™t pick them out - if I missed one that you can identify shout it out :smile:

And because Iā€™m not a real quilter, I like to finish my back with something cushy and warm so I used fleece (no batting layer in-between). It was a hell of a time to get these two layers together so sue me if Iā€™m not going to add a third for fun.

36 Likes

It came out so beautifully! Seriously wonderful job my friend.

1 Like

You made it your own for sure! The top is very colorful and full of happy scrappy memories and such a variety of fabricsā€¦the back looks cozy and warm and does the job it is supposed to doā€¦

Well doneā€¦and something off your scrap busting list!

2 Likes

Itā€™s beautiful! And, I think that using fleece on the back just makes it extra snuggly. Great job using up so many scraps!

2 Likes

Itā€™s epically awesome!!! So fun to see my fabric among such good company. :smile:

Backing with fleece and calling it a day is actually pretty genius! I might try this the next time I get the idea in my head to make a quilt. :bulb:

2 Likes

:green_heart:

That is grand; may it keep you warm for many years to come!

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Funny story, I could only buy 8 yards of the fleece (it was either 4 or 8 or even more and I needed 5 yards :woman_facepalming:) so now I have 3ish yards leftover and no idea what to do with it! :joy:

1 Like

Lap blanket for the couch?

1 Like

I love this. And such a fabulous way to use up oneā€™s stash.

2 Likes

Itā€™s gorgeousā€¦and now youā€™ll have a good reason to buy more fabrics when the shops reopen for business :laughing:

2 Likes

So many very small pieces.

2 Likes

Very strong possibility :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful quilt!!

But 80% of your stash gone almost made me cry.

2 Likes

WOW!! It must be so satisfying to see it on your bed and to fall asleep under it every night! You did a great job on this!

You could always make pillowcases with your leftover fabricā€¦

3 Likes

Donā€™t cry :smile: They were mostly scraps and had been sitting in a box for a very long time. Less stash means more excuses to buy new fabric :wink:

4 Likes

GORGEOUS!! Omg I love it! Iā€™ve been stash busting as well. <3

2 Likes

Iā€™m loving the scrappy quilts and yours is fantabulous.
Love the fleece on the back, great for snuggling under.

2 Likes

Wow! That is super impressive!

2 Likes

I love scrap quilts :heart: the fleece back is a great idea.

2 Likes

Excellent job! Itā€™s bright and your corners match!

I too have been using hoarded and saved handprints from both @Edel and yourself. (someone is walking around my home town right this second with a bright yellow potter ā€œdark markā€ mask)

If you want some more scraps for the matching couch quilt let me know! I can stuff a bag and post it off! :smile:

2 Likes