My first punch embroidery - little fox

This week I finally got around to trying the punch embroidery kit that @storerboughtcreation got me for Christmas last year. The two of us were actually Skyping together as we both tried the new craft for the first time, and we definitely had some difficulties getting started, but eventually I started to get the hang of it! I definitely goofed up a lot and would do things differently next time, but I think it’s pretty cute for my first attempt!

I’m thinking of maybe giving it a fabric backing and border (maybe just bias tape?) and hanging it on the wall.

27 Likes

This turned out so well, and was successful (unlike my project!). I can’t wait to see what other things you embroider, either by hand or with the punch tool.

You could also try to make the little hanging banner with other woodland creatures like the instruction book you were using suggested. A hedgehog and a deer or racoon would look great with this fox! :heart:

3 Likes

Oh that is so sweet!!

1 Like

I don’t think I actually ever knew what needle punching looked like. The fox is so sweet! Thanks for sharing this cutie!

2 Likes

I can’t wait to try punch embroidery! and this was a kit? I’m gonna totally look for one next time I go out!

2 Likes

It’s adorable and good for you for sticking with it. I bought a kit but ended up giving it away, I just could not get the hang of it. It’s harder than you’d think.

1 Like

That’s so cute! I’ve seen punch needle kits at my local embroidery shop, but always shied away from trying it…might have to reconsider now. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

He’s so cute and reminds me of our old Games mascot! I love that he is fuzzy.

2 Likes

He’s cute. I like his fuzzy appearance. That’s fun you guys worked together over skype.

3 Likes

That turned out so cute! Great job!

1 Like

I have one that I haven’t even opened yet. They make it look so easy in commercials and such. For those of you that have tried it, what were the things that made it hard to do?

2 Likes

Congratulations on a successful new craft! Your little fox is so sweet and floofy.

1 Like

so cute! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cute! I have wanted to try punch embroidery for such a long time.

1 Like

I have thought of trying this, how was it? You did a great job, your fox is cute!

1 Like

That is adorable, and great first project :smiley: It’s a cute little fox and I hope you will use the punch needle for more fun things

I bought a punch needle for my son, who doesn’t have patience with normal embroidery, hopefully it will be more fun :smiley:

2 Likes

hey @wittychild! This made me laugh… I JUST HAD to have one 2 years ago. charged all around the quilt show to find it. obtained punch and fabric. 2 years later, it’s still on my tbd list.

i say you get one, and we’ll do the thing! let’s do it!!

Thanks so much for the kit and the motivation! I definitely want to try more patterns; I think I will do another woodland creature next! This also looks really easy to make your own patterns for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It really is pretty hard, isn’t it?! The first thing we discovered is that it definitely does NOT work with just any fabric. I ended up buying this burlap specifically for this project because the kit (which contained a book, patterns, a hoop, a punch tool and adjuster, and a threader, but no thread or fabric) said burlap was one of the kinds of fabric that worked well with it.

Also, the book in my kit said you didn’t have to separate out your embroidery floss and could just use all six strands together, but that book was a LYING LIAR THAT LIES, because with all six strands the thread would get caught in the needle and wouldn’t flow smoothly, so it just kept popping back out of the fabric. I ended up using three strands at a time and it worked MUCH better.

The next thing I figured out is that you really have to be careful to just BARELY pull the punch tool out of the fabric before pushing it back in again in the next spot; any slack on the back of the fabric can also mess things up.

I think next I just need to get used to spacing, and like, the order/direction I go with the needle to get the colors filled in enough without pushing already completed loops out further and getting those long wonky loops.

2 Likes

We actually craft together virtually semi-often! We live several states apart even now, so it’s nice to be able to hang out in that way!

It is DEFINITELY not as easy as they make it look, but I think once I get used to it, it will be pretty quick and smooth! I put a few tips in another reply above!

Thanks! It was harder than I expected, but once I started figuring things out it was fun! I definitely want to try more!

Hee hee, just what SBC and I did! XD Have fun!

1 Like