Nerd Games Discussion Thread

Just 2 DAYS more for everyone to enter their own cool project into the Craft The Equinox Challenge!

Holy moly! I got both prize packages today from @LovelyMiss. If you’re friends with me on Facebook, you’ll see the album I just created. She spoiled all of the prize winners.

Tomorrow is going to be cold, even getting down below freezing tomorrow night, and I have d&d with the library peeps my hubby works with. My new cat socks will help keep my toes from falling off. I love the cold, but after my years in Phoenix, I’m still pretty sensitive to it. I’m not “put on a parka when it goes from 118° to 80 for the daytime high” kind of person (trust me, they exist. I’m sure @Bunny1kenobi can confirm :rofl:), but by the time it’s in the 50s, I’m a “let’s bust out the warm sweaters, cute socks, hats, and scarves” kind of gal. I’ll probably still wear my sandals to d&d tomorrow though :rofl:

5 Likes

Congrats to @Smeddley who earned the Adulting for a Day badge (even though she adulted all season) for her work on the Summer Games! Congrats and thank you for such an amazing season!

5 Likes

Woohoo! Do you feel like an adult now, @Smeddley? You earned it with your amazing CYOA. Thanks! :metal:t3:

3 Likes

Haha, thanks! I’m feeling way too much like an adult these days, I’m not enjoying it much at all… it’s not all it’s cracked up to be, though the ability to drink and eat ice cream for dinner is a plus…

6 Likes

SO! I never did announce it here, but I think I have all the answers I’m likely to get, and congratulations to @gozer, @LovelyMiss, and @storerboughtcreation for guessing that it was SABRINA who stole the trophy! I promise if I do another mystery I will have it all planned out ahead of time…

Speaking of… it’s still November 1st and prompts are posted! Nerd Games - Fall 2022 - #3 by Smeddley

4 Likes

It was a lot of fun and a great distraction from all the craziness in my life. Thank you so much!

3 Likes

Yay! I’m glad I didn’t go with Fenton like I originally wanted to. He seemed so shady until I got the last set of clues. :rofl:

3 Likes

Ditto! Fenton was shady, but the bits of fuzz told a different story. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

TRACKING UPDATE!

So far this season we have 10 active players! A total of 39 projects have been posted.

Here is where each team stands:

Team Players Projects Points Average
Don’t Stop Beleafing 5 26 1080 216
So Corn-fused 4 11 260 65
Gourd of the Rings 1 2 50 50

And the monthly battle results are in!

October # Crafted Results
Creepy Cute 10 WINNER!
Downright Scary 0
November # Crafted Results
Crossword Puzzles
Sudoku
December # Crafted Results
TBD
TBD

You can find your individual tracking sheet and the team roster here.

Don’t forget to check out the additional Advent Prompts. A new one will be posted every Sunday! And definitely be sure to check out the enamel pins you can earn. Craft on, nerds! :nerd_face:

3 Likes

So… I am giving myself a bit of an insane challenge during the busiest time of the year… I plan to complete my Motif Blanket before I head to FL for Christmas.

It will count as a Research Project, for sure. Here’s the plan:

• Gather and count motifs (125)
  • Determine deadline (12/21/22)
  • Edge each motif in white (7 per day… finish by 11/24)
  • Arrange motifs (pin to sheet)
  • Join together (6 per day…includes mini filler shapes)
  • Weave in ends

I’m using it as an example to show my students how breaking a large goal into smaller steps will help you reach the goal (we do a social emotional learning program once a week and it starts with goal setting).

This, of course, will be on top of everything else I have to do. But, I have a couple of upcoming days where I can get ahead. And, during Thanksgiving break, I’m hoping my sister and sister-in-law can help me arrange them so it’s not totally hideous. :smile:

The motifs are in a very wide variety of colors, shapes, and sizes, all made by either myself or a bunch of folks over on the old site who participated in the Motif Swaps.

The bag full of motifs…

5 Likes

Go, Cindy, go! You can do it!

4 Likes

That looks like it is going to be a lot of work, and super cool!

2 Likes

I love that you’re using it as a learning opportunity. Good luck!

2 Likes

I presented it to my students today, and told them they need to keep me accountable. I’m going to track things on the board. Hopefully, I can keep up with my schedule!

3 Likes

And, just to keep myself accountable… I have 74 out of 125 motifs edged in white (with ends woven in). Some of them are a little rippled or curled because I didn’t vary my hook size. I wanted to have them all edged in the same size to make it easier to join. I figured that things would mostly flatten out once they’re joined together.

I have some interruptions this week, so I tried to get ahead on things. But, it looks like I’ll be on track with my schedule! I have my little stack of motifs for tomorrow all picked out. But, I do have to make a “fancy dress” for Friday, so I might not get the whole stack done tomorrow.

4 Likes

How old are they students? And this makes me want to finish my huge projects, pulling others into the project like that isn’t a bad idea. Good luck!

2 Likes

They’re 11 and 12. They’re not doing any of the work, just holding me accountable :slight_smile: It’s funny how they can’t manage their own stuff, but are epic at reminding me of things I need to do :smile:

3 Likes

I understood it was just to hold you accountable, and at that age I would most likely not let them work on the blanket. And it’s always easier to focus on other’s goals than your own, but it will teach them about goal setting :smiley:

1 Like

LOL! No worries! I wasn’t sure if I wasn’t clear. Honestly, this school year (brand new curriculum and several new standards) has fried my brain already, so I just assumed I confused things. :smiley:

1 Like