Nerd Games - Spring 2024

@LovelyMiss needs a title! Like “Chief Morale Officer” or something like that. :grin:

Thanks to all 3 of you lovely ladies for keeping the games fun and fresh!

7 Likes

I agree! If you’d like to give yourself a title, please do it! I like morale chief. Or fun sergeant. Or… okay, my brain quit on me, but anything would be awesome :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Aww, thanks y’all! I’ll wear a chief of morale sash as I dance around and get these pin packages ready to go out in the mail. :smiley:

5 Likes

Prompt: Spread hap-pea-ness
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Envelopes from book pages
Project Link: Envelopes from cool book pages
Brief Description: All envelopes I make are for someone else :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

5 Likes

Prompt: April - Spread hap-pea-ness
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: Audrey bracelet
Project Link:
Brief Description: this was a bracelet made for my niece. It took forever. First we figured out the directions, then I had a five year old “helping” me, and we finally had to watch a video to finish.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Let’s taco 'bout crafts
Team: knotty by nature
Project Name: bff bracelet
Project Link:
Brief Description: we made this one for my nieces bff. This went faster, but not by much. And holy cow, this was super messy. Rubber bands everywhere.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: You’re kind of a big dill (April)
Project Name: Map coloring page.
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: While looking for something crafty but couch-y to do recently, I landed on coloring in the segments of a map page in my whatever journal. The sections are bumpy, at least for the purposes of this prompt :laughing: .
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: You’re one in a melon (April)
Project Name: Eclipse journal page
Brief Description: To commemorate the total eclipse, I cut up my eclipse glasses and stuck them in my journal on top of some underpaper. (Note: This was before I heard about the plan to send them other places for other eclipses.) The temple sections are vaguely wedge-shaped, and the middle one flips out to reveal some journaling.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 1
Project Name: Quickie mail art
Brief Description: I zhuzhed up some prefab stationery pieces to send an item from the ongoing Garage Sale.
Project Photo(s):

6 Likes

I have been fairly non-existent around here for longer than I’d like- ever since COVID teaching started, really. Even though things are back to “normal” we’re still dealing with the effects in the classroom (academically and behaviorally) and when coupled with a new, demanding curriculum, I am wiped out at the end of the day/week. My mental capacity for almost anything creative has been at an all-time low. But, I’m trying to get it back! And, hopefully, I can maintain a presence in the Games with comments AND crafts! Fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

@LindyBlues - Beautiful envelopes! It’s such a fun way to upcycle beautiful book and magazine pages! I have an envelope punch board that is collecting dust, and this reminds me that I should dig it out and put it to use!

@storerboughtcreation - What fun bracelets! I like the addition of the beads. It’s funny to see this trend come back around- it seemed to disappear for a couple of years, but it’s suddenly back! One of my students is currently working on a jump rope length chain. And yes, those rubber bands can certainly make a mess!

@megwell - I really like the oclors you chose for your map page. Coloring can be so relaxing, especially when curled up on the couch! And, I like your eclipse page (Did you see the total eclipse? If so, where?). I didn’t realize the glasses could be sent off afterwards for others to use. Good to know for the future! And, neat idea to fancy up some pre-made cards. I like the stamping on the envelope, especially!

4 Likes

I’m on the far NE side of Indy, although a decent chunk of Indiana was in the path of the totality. I started seeing things about drives to send the used glasses to Central/South American schools for the October eclipse. But I seem to remember at least one of my pairs indicating they should only be used for a maximum of like 3 minutes, so I’m a bit skeptical about the reusability.

3 Likes

I was able to catch about a minute and a half of totality in VT, which was worth the drive!

After the last US total eclipse, I read that the glasses expire, but I don’t know how long that is. But, apparently there are tests to check if they are still good. Hopefully, whoever receives them checks them before using them!

3 Likes

We’re happy to have you in any capacity here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I do hope you get in more craft time for some fun and stress relief.

I think I tore my rotator cuff more two days ago. I can’t even stand to support my own arm, so I’ve been in a sling. It’s really impeding craft time. But the awesome rice packs that @LovelyMiss makes have come to the rescue and have helped quite a bit :blush:

2 Likes

Ugh! That’s definitely not a fun injury! Hopefully, it heals soon- I don’t know much about it, though. Hang in there, and I hope you can find crafts that you can do with limited mobility.

I remember how hard it was to craft with a broken wrist, when I couldn’t use my thumb to grip anything. At least it was my non-dominant hand!

I’m trying to remind myself that crafting is my therapy, and I really need to make time for it, even if it’s only a little bit at a time.

4 Likes

Prompt: April Battle- Dad Jokes
Team: *Running with scissors
Project Name: Hairy ATCoin
Project Link:
Brief Description: This ATCoin features a dad joke.
Project Photo(s): *

6 Likes

Prompt: Let’s taco 'bout crafts (April)
Project Name: Cheese dip
Project Link: Sausage Cheese Slow-Cooker Dip
Brief Description: This dip can be spicy/mild depending on your ingredients, has three ingredients/parts, and is messy (because melted Velveeta).
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Lol, @Bunny1kenobi, that dad joke made me smile.

@megwell, that sounds like a tasty dip!

1 Like

Prompt: April Battle - Punny Business
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: Sloppy Joes
Project Link:
Brief Description: Who’s feeling saucy? Joe. I guess? :sweat_smile:

Project Photo(s):

sloppy joes 24 - Copy

Prompt: April - You’re kind of a big dill
Project Name: Chicken noodle soup
Project Link:
Brief Description: Made this from scratch. It uses liquid.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Lettuce craft
Project Name: Ocean and Stars
Project Link:
Brief Description: This was my original attempt at a project for the Light It Up Swap. I wanted a combo of my partner’s space (stars) and dark ocean themes, because those are also two of my very favorite things. It’s a ROUND wooden charger. I painted it, added different texture mediums to get a vibe of ocean waves and cliffs and then colored them with various media, drilled holes for fairy lights with my Dremel, and wired it. The Dremel slipped and created some issues, so that’s how we got the clouds. I dunno. It’s fine and kinda cool, just not what I wanted to send to my partner. (The project I sent is at the bottom of this post.)

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - You’re one in a melon
Project Name: Meat Loaf
Project Link:
Brief Description: The main ingredients are red. At least at some point. And I’d say it’s speckled with onions.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Let’s taco 'bout crafts
Project Name: Birria Tacos
Project Link:
Brief Description: Couldn’t resist saving the actual tacos for this prompt. :smiley: They were messy and a little spicy. Photo is a pre and post birria soak and fry. Unfortunately, I only had flour tortillas, but they were still pretty good (if just slightly too mushy).

Project Photo(s):

birria - Copy - Copy

Project Name: Strawberry sauce + banana split
Project Link:
Brief Description: My partner was craving a banana split. I turned some strawberries to a delicious strawberry sauce/syrup to go with it (and have a little bit leftover for other treats).

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Research Project
Project Name: Conference
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’m involved with a business and volunteered to put together and staff a booth at a local conference. For privacy reasons I needed to blur the logos in the pictures, which I know is weird, but I did SO MUCH work for this thing, I really wanted to submit it.

Here’s everything I did:

• Designed/made the dandelion art graphics
  • Designed layouts for mugs and hand sanitizer holders (used as giveaways)
  • Sublimated about 60 mugs (for both mugs and hand sanitizer holders, I printed multiple wraps per sheet, hand cut all of them, and heat pressed each thing individually)
  • Sublimated about 60 hand sanitizer holders (removed the rings, attached the tranfer papers and pressed each side separately, re-attached the rings, filled the bottles with hand sanitizer, and put the bottles in the holders)
  • Designed the layout, created the cut file, cut the vinyl, and made the vertical banner (I also abandoned, after designing and cutting, some huge vinyl dandelions meant to be vertical banners flanking the blue one in the middle, because we only ended up having space for one vertical sign)
  • Attempted sublimated table cloth (it didn’t work), hemmed off the ruined part, and then made it with vinyl
  • Made four heat vinyl t-shirts with the logo after creating the cut file
  • Put together 200 bags of popcorn (designed, printed, hand cut, Xyron-ed, and attached labels on front and back of every bag [there were two types of bags so two design processes], and filled all the bags)
  • Put together a gift basket, and made, print, and cut 200 entry forms
  • Made up a trivia game for the spin wheel and print and cut color coded cards

It was easily 40+ hours to do all of it. It was fun to see everything come together, though. I love to have a project. :smiley:

Project Photo(s):

prizes rs - Copy

table rs - Copy

shirts rs - Copy

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Enchanted Forest Tree Art Doll
Project Link: Enchanted Forest Tree Dotee Art Doll
Brief Description: Made for the Dotee Swap. More info and photos in the link.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time
Project Name: Space Lantern
Project Link: Space Lantern
Brief Description: Made for the Light It Up Swap. More info and photos in the link.

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

I always say I’m going to keep up posting appreciative comments, then it’s the end of the month and I’ve done nothing! I need to get better about that.

@LindyBlues
Love the envelopes! They look amazing!

@Storerboughtcreation
Haha, those bracelets are fiddly at best, kudos for getting it done with a helper!

@Megwell
Ooooh, I love your journal pages! So fun and creative. And that cheese dip looks amazing. Now I need to have an arty crafty chips and dip party! :smiley:

@Bunny1kenobi
Groan… that’s what you get for your project… but how perfect for the prompt!

@LovelyMiss
I need to stop looking at this before lunch! All that looks amazing and now I’m hungry.
That conference setup and design looks like it was a TON of work, and I love the dandelion mugs!
Ooooh, the dotee is so cute! I miss doing a lot of the swaps I used to, but I don’t know if I’m responsible enough to do them right now…
I think we’re all hardest on ourselves, I think your original attempt for the swap was great, but then again, so was what you made second!

2 Likes

Oh boy, it’s spring! Our April had crazy weather, some drizzles (not common) and a couple of super hot days. Great to see the games are still going.
@LindyBlues - crafting with little ones is challenging, but usually worth it. Cute bracelets, glad you figured out how to make them.
@megwell - you have a lot of color in your pages, great for spring. And thanks for contributing to the garage sale!
@Bunny1kenobi - I’ll have to share that dad joke with my kid, she loves rolling her eyes at me when I share them, but she laughs too.
@LovelyMiss - all your food looks yummy. I’m lucky I just had dinner, or I would be raiding the kitchen. Your dotee is super cute (looks friendly but shy), and both of your light up projects are brilliant (:bulb: )
Just reading through the work you did for the conference made me tired, that’s a huge amount of work, I hope the conference went well.

I just realized how many of the things I’ve made aren’t officially complete because I still need to weave in ends. How do I convince myself to do that as I go? So this isn’t the end of the washcloths, and if anyone has a cotton yarn they want to suggest… let me know! I’m always down to buy more yarn I totally (don’t) need! :smiley:

Prompt: April Battle – Punny Business
Project Name: Owl Washcloth
Brief Description: This requires a bit of a backstory about the War of Owltrition. My friend and I have gone back and forth hiding owls and making silly owl puns for YEARS, so now that I’m making her a series of washcloths to try (I’m on a mission to try many, many cotton yarns!) I had to sneak an owl in. “Owl keep you clean!” and “Whoooooo has a good skincare routine?” and whatnot… so so so many owl puns!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April – You’re One In a Melon
Project Name: Peaches & Cream Blue Striped C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: It’s stripey! Still knitting my way through all the cottons I can easily find, and this one is not bad for the price! This is the second one I’ve made from this skein, I will say the Peaches & Cream from Wal-Mart will make 2 medium cloths (size 7 needles, 48 st at max for C2C, about 7.5” square) and is on the cheaper side. This also means it’s more comparable to Sugar & Cream in terms of being a little less soft and more scrubby (which is actually good, especially if you use it as a dishcloth!)
Project Photo(s):

Project Name: Mainstays Grey C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: Another in the line of cotton washcloths, to be compared in the great cotton-yarn-off! I am also giving this one to my friend for her input. It’s from Mainstays 100% Cotton from WalMart, which seems like nice enough yarn but there are so few color options!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April – You’re Kind of a Big Dill
Project Name: I Love This Cotton Paw Print Washcloth
Brief Description: It’s the “bumps” that give this washcloth its pattern! These are a lot more fiddly and time-consuming than the C2C ones, but I do love the way they turn out. They’re also not as adjustable, size-wise, as the C2C since the size is based on the yarn/needles you use. But, still, they are fun and I really like the way the ridges give it a design! At first it was really wavy, but after letting it sit (under other washcloths) it flattened out and you can really see the pattern.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

@Smeddley - that’s a nice variety of washcloths. The owl is a hoot! I love the backstory of it.

I’ve actually finished a few things this month, after March sort of knocked me out (pinched nerve or something in my neck, amazing how that affects all of the body’s movement. I’m fine now.)

Prompt: April Battle - Punny Business
Project Name: Avocato plushie
Project Link: Avocato - my first plushie
Brief Description:
I set out on a plushie making adventure. This little guy was the first one. While working, I kept saying that I have no idea what I’m doing, but it ended up as a plushie, so I think I’m on the right track.
He is an avocato, which is an avocado cat creature, so a bit punny. He also heard that this round’s pin events include projects that qualify for the Food & Drink category, and wanted to mention that he is stuffed.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Dad Jokes (April Battle)
Project Name: Miscellaneous ATCoins (not for the swap)
Brief Description: I waffled about where to claim these, but I knew if I was coin to get battle points I’d better get a round to choosing one side or the other. I mint no harm. (Okay, I’ll stop now.)
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes