Nerd Games - Spring 2024

Prompt: May Battle -Fortune-
Team: Knotty by Nature
Project Name: Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting
Brief Description: SBC found this recipe and I was fortunate she shared it with me and convinced me to bake it. Absolutely one of my favorite cakes now.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May -Clothes make the man-
Project Name: Air freshener for car
Brief Description: I made this little hanging plant for the car and put some lavender oil inside.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April -Lettuce Craft-
Project Name: Pumpkin cake with vanilla frosting
Brief Description: As you can see, this cake is round. I used vanilla frosting for this one since my dad doesn’t like cream cheese (the weirdo)
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April -Spread hap-pea-ness-
Project Name: Pineapple upside down cake
Brief Description: My youngest daughter turned 6 at the beginning of May and asked for a pineapple upside down cake. I only just got around to making it on Mother’s day along with the pumpkin cakes.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

@QueenHobo i can attest that the pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting was DELICIOUS! Our father is in fact a weirdo. But then aren’t we all? :rofl:

There was a lot of cake last weekend. And it was all yummy!

1 Like

Ugh, it’s been one of those months where I can’t motivate myself to do much… Thanks to Lettuce Craft swaps, and craftalongs for pushing me to do stuff I enjoy. I’m dying to share what I made for @gozer for the Ongoing Wish Swap, but I don’t want to spoil the surprise. So it will have to wait :blush:

@QueenHobo, that pineapple upside down cake looks delicious! I am also a weirdo… I am not a fan of cream cheese on desserts. I suppose my brain associates cream cheese with savoury foods. That little hanging plant is so cute :heart:

@Bunny1kenobi I love the scrappy leaf ATCoin! And the earrings are so unique; you always make such neat jewelry! Oooh, the night sky ATCoin! I would never have thought of putting a metal charm on one; that’s so creative, and it looks awesome! love it! The dinosaur ATCoin is pretty cool too; so detailed!

I’ll come back in a few minutes to hopefully share some of the things I’ve made int he last little bit.

3 Likes

@QueenHobo that all looks delicious!! But what I got most from that Is that Grumpy Frog is 6. 6!!! How the heck did that happen?

@LindyBlues thank you for the kind words! :grin:

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Team: *Running with scissors
Project Name: jungle book nook
Project Link: Welcome to the jungle
Brief Description: I made this for @gozer in the Light It Up Swap. It took a long time. I actually debated if it should be a Big Time or a Research Project. For more about this project, click the link.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #1
Project Name: Merit badge ATCoin
Project Link:
Brief Description: I certainly feel like I accomplished something when I do the grocery shopping!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #2
Project Name: Mermaid ATCoin
Project Link:
Brief Description: This mermaid is chilling Ariel style on a giant seashell. Either that or it’s a really tiny mermaid.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #3
Project Name: scatter sunshine ATCoin
Project Link:
Brief Description: I love this affirmation because when you apply it, you not only lift yourself but also everyone around you. This was my first ATCoin EVER.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range #4
Project Name: Enchanted forest ATCoin
Project Link:
Brief Description: The night sky can certainly be enchanting especially if the aurora borealis pays a visit.
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May- Rolling Stone
Project Name: Salad + Zucchini
Project Link: Cutting carbs
Brief Description: Low carb snacks made with plants
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May Battle - Adage
Project Name: Apple Granny Square #1
Project Link: coming soon
Brief Description: An apple a day keeps the doctor away!
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: April - You’re kind of a big dill
Project Name: Flower Granny Square #1
Project Link: Granny Square Hyperfixation! (Same link applies to all the granny squares in this post)
Brief Description: This is green and bumpy!
Project Photo(s):

Here it is on the blocking board.

Prompt: April - Lettuce Craft
Project Name: Flower Granny Square #2
Project Link: Same as above
Brief Description: This started out round, has leaf-like patterns around the flower, and is a good example of the wonderful crafts I’ve learned since joining this community!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - You’re one in a melon
Project Name: Pinwheel Granny Square #1
Brief Description: This has lots of triangular wedges and includes red and stripes.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Let’s taco 'bout crafts
Project Name: Lion Granny Square #1
Brief Description: The eyes, nose, muzzle, and ears were all separate parts I appliqued onto the face. So far the squares with applique have taken me the longest to make.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Spread hap-pea-ness
Project Name: Pinwheel Granny Square #2
Brief Description: This square is for @storerboughtcreation!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Research Project #1
Project Name: Red shawl
Project Link: Three shawls - #8 by roler
Brief Description: Another shawl!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May - Birds of a Feather
Project Name: Granny Square #7 (too hard to name them all, just gonna number 'em now :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
Project Link: Granny Square Hyperfixation!
Brief Description: I made this square for SBC! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Clothes Make the Man
Project Name: Granny Square #8
Project Link: Same as Above
Brief Description: The whole background of this square is green.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - A Rolling Stone
Project Name: Granny Square #9
Brief Description: This may be numbered 9 for the purposes of posting here, but this was actually the first granny square I ever made! And now I’m hooked!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Practice Makes Perfect
Project Name: Granny Square #10
Brief Description: And as you can see, I’m getting lots of practice by making each granny square pattern twice! :slight_smile:
Project Photo(s):

(see purple one on the right)

Prompt: May - Stop and Smell the Roses
Project Name: Granny Square #11
Brief Description: Can you tell that I really enjoy making these? XD
Project Photo(s):

(I’m using the one on the right for this prompt)

4 Likes

Prompt: May Battle - Adage
Team: Bits and Bobs
Project Name: 1D Song Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I went to a Harry Styles and One Direction themed event, and made a bunch of friendship bracelets to share with people. It was so fun. For the Battle, I think I’ll go with adage - they stick in my head like song lyrics. (Sorry all of the photos suck, I forgot to take pictures until one minute before I had to leave. :grimacing: )

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Birds of a Feather Flock Together / You Will Soon Meet a New Friend
Project Name: 1D Necklaces
Project Link:
Brief Description: I also made a couple necklaces for me and my friend.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - The Clothes Make the Man / You Will Soon Get an Unexpected Makeover
Project Name: 1D Album Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: Several of these used recycled beads, and there’s green. They are all of the album titles - and the colors are the colors used on the album covers. :slight_smile:

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Practice Makes Perfect / You Will Soon be Rewarded for Your Hard Work and Practice
Project Name: Harry Styles Song Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I’ve made beaded bracelets before!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss / You Will Soon be Presented a New Opportunity, Take It!
Project Name: Bag kit
Project Link:
Brief Description: A slight break from 1D to show this bag I made using a pre-cut kit. I’d never really done leather stitching before.

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Stop and Smell the Roses / You Will Soon Have Some Restful Times, Make Good Use of It!
Project Name: 1D Bracelets
Project Link:
Brief Description: I obviously enjoyed making these. I worked on them for about seven hours the night before the show, and woke up two hours early the morning of to make some more!

Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range
Project Name: 1D Song Bracelets 2
Project Link:
Brief Description: And the last few bracelets.

Project Photo(s):

2 Likes

Prompt: Fortune (May Battle)
Team: Running with Scissors
Project Name: Decorated pocket and card
Project Link: N/A
Brief Description: When one of my favorite movies showed up in a puzzle I was doing, I couldn’t believe my good fortune. I knew I had to add it to my journal, so I stuck it to a library card that I colored in and decorated a pocket for it. (The pocket project…evolved and became the main element, but that’s crafting. :woman_shrugging:t2:)
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

I need to catch up on all the great projects, so many neat things posted! Where did May go?! It wasn’t April Showers here, it’s the May Showers that flooded us and our basement needs a LOT of work. Yay, Midwest Living… :smiley:

But lemme post my May crafts before the end of the day!

Prompt: April - Lettuce craft
Project Name: Mandala Potholder
Brief Description: We got a combo microwave/air fryer/oven, and my hubby wanted something smaller than the big oven gloves we had to pull the tray out of the microwave, and I had some questionable wool that was probably fashionable in the 90s when I bought it… but hey, it works? And it’s round!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: April - Let’s taco 'bout crafts
Project Name: Blue Chenille Bunny
Brief Description: I do hate sewing amigurumi together, and this little bunny had a lot of parts! I also think the head is too small, but… hey, it’s done! Now what do I do with it?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May Battle – Adage – Curiosity Killed the Cat
Project Name: Kitty Cube
Brief Description: I’m on a quest to use up some yarn I have, so this blue chenille was high on my list. After the disappointment of the too-small-headed bunny, this little kitty cube made me happy! The original pattern called for legs, but I decided against them.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Birds of a Feather Flock Together / You Will Soon Meet a New Friend
Project Name: Village Cotton C2C Washcloth 1
Project Link:
Brief Description: Multicolored! Village Cotton (Herrschner’s) C2C knitted washcloth. I got two out of this skein of yarn. One of them had more color pooling than the other, just the luck of the draw?
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Practice Makes Perfect / You Will Soon be Rewarded for Your Hard Work and Practice
Project Name: Big Twist Grey C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: I’ve made just a few of these before… I can’t say this Big Twist Yarn was my favorite, this is the second one I got out the skein and it used it up and I was glad to be rid of it. Will not buy that yarn again, honestly.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss / You Will Soon be Presented a New Opportunity, Take It!
Project Name: Mainstays Paw Print Washcloth
Brief Description: Grey! This is the second washcloth I got out of the Mainstays Grey, a paw print pattern one this time… I still really like this yarn. I just wish it came in more colors.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: May - Stop and Smell the Roses / You Will Soon Have Some Restful Times, Make Good Use of It!
Project Name: Sugar N Cream White C2C Washcloth
Brief Description: I can’t stop knitting these C2C washcloths because they are so easy and relaxing! And I have TWO giant cones of this Sugar and Cream yarn, so… there will be more, I’m sure.
Project Photo(s):**

Prompt: Big Time 1
Project Name: Cotton Sprouts Washcloths
Brief Description: Used up the entire skein of this yarn (which was lovely to work with, would recommend!) on four washcloths. Each one takes about two hours to knit up, give or take!
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Free Range 1
Project Name: Village Cotton C2C Washcloth 2
Brief Description: Part two of this skein of yarn!
Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: May Battle- Adage: A Stitch in Time Saves Nine

Project Name: Crochet Club Stitch Markers

Project Link: Stitch Markers for Crochet Club

Brief Description: I run a Crochet & Knit Club at the middle school I teach at, and all of the kids in it this year worked on crochet projects. Last year, I made them all pouches (Crochet Club Zipper Pouches). This year, since I had a few returning members, plus several additions, I decided to make them sets of crochet stitch markers. I made 10 sets in total and I put each set in a little drawstring bag that I decorated with a crochet-themed pin.

Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

Prompt: Big Time #1
Project Name: Mandala Yarn Crocheted Scarf
Project Link: Mandala Yarn Crocheted Scarf
Brief Description: During the Crochet Club I run at school, I needed a project to work on that I could easily put down when I needed to help one of the kids in the club. We received some donated yarn, and there was a cake of Mandala Yarn, so I figured I would use that so I didn’t have to worry about color changes. I also worked on it during our state testing. We’re not allowed to grade papers, read a book, work on the computer, etc. because we have to monitor the students. If I didn’t have something to keep me busy for 2.5-3 hours (X 4 days), I would go nuts, so I’ve started to work on simple crochet projects (I can walk around with a small project). I had been working on the scarf off and on during the year (in crochet club mostly), and one of my students asked what I was making. I said, “A scarf, but I don’t really love the colors.” She replied, “I like the colors!” So I told her, “You can have it when it’s finished!” I didn’t finish it in time for her to use it in the winter, and I wish I had made it a little narrower so it would have been a little longer for her, but she loved it anyway!

Project Photo(s):

4 Likes

Prompt: Blonde (June)
Project Name: Friendship bracelets
Brief Description: I made these tonight at the library’s summer reading program kickoff party. Bracelets = jewelry = beauty related.
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Zap 2
Project Name: Faux-zzy Navel
Brief Description: There was also a make-your-own-mocktail station at the library party. I love a Fuzzy Navel (peach schnapps + OJ), so I mixed some Peach Bellini fizzy water with the OJ for a dry version.
Project Photo(s):

3 Likes

@megwell The bracelets are so cute and I love that the library had a “mocktail station” for the summer reading kickoff. I love the colours on that pocket!

@craftADDchick What a beautiful scarf; I love the colours. And the stitch markers and pin are such a nice touch for your students

@Smeddley I love all the washcloths, but I think the paw print is my favourite :paw_prints: I love crafts that are both beautiful and practical :heart: And I love that little bunny! I think the head is just the perfect size :rabbit: And the little kitty is adorable too :cat:

@LovelyMiss I love the bracelets and the necklaces, and they seem like the perfect gifts for the theme!

@roler that apple granny square is just too cool! Now if you make a green one, will you call it a “Granny Smith Apple” square? :joy: I love the flower and pinwheels one too, and the colours on that shawl :fire: :heart:

@Bunny1kenobi mmmm those snacks look so good. That book nook looks amazing!! I especially love the light effect. The ATCoins are pretty awesome. I think my favourite is the scatter sunshine one. I love the 3D effect.

1 Like

Prompt: …Walks into a bar…
Project Name: Mandioca Frita (Yucca or Manioc Fries)
Project Link: Mandioca Frita (Fried Cassava)
Brief Description: These delicious treats are meant to be consumed (and I did :yum:)
Project Photo(s):

mandioca frita

Prompt: How many… lightbulb
Project Name: Broiled Mushrooms
Project Link: "Broiled" mushrooms
Brief Description: This was made on an electric stove; therefore, it used electricity.
Project Photo(s):

d58ad3909974e74feb20e384bcc773c48d209f94_2_375x500

Prompt: A rolling stone gathers no moss
Project Name: First ever hardcover notebook
Project Link: Hardcover Notebook - #8 by EriChanHime
Brief Description: This is a new to me craft. I was able to do it thanks to @Edel’s video :heart:
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Practice Makes Perfect
Project Name: “Speedy the Mushroom” zine
Project Link: "Speedy the Snail" zine
Brief Description: I had made a tiny zine for the zine swap last year, and then I made another one for a homeschool event. Then I made this one as part of the “Invite your Partner Swap.” I made it in the last Nerd Games season, but my partner didn’t receive it until this one.
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: You will soon get an unexpected makeover
Project Name: Yeti stuffy
Project Link: "Speedy the Snail" zine
Brief Description: I made this for the Ongoing Wish Swap. I had a pair of wool socks that I had never worn because they were too narrow for my feet. So I made this yeti with one of the socks.
Project Photo(s):

8b6c3652e85c4ae595d8163c8569befdc335a471_2_666x500

3 Likes

I’m a Speedy fan! And that yeti is adorable.

1 Like

Prompt: Blonde
Project Name: Homemade Mac 'n Cheese
Project Link: Homemade Mac & Cheese
Brief Description: The pasta in this dish is yellow, and so was the cheese I used to make the sauce :blush: :cheese:
Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Knock Knock
Project Name: Brigadeiros (Brazilian Chocolate Trufles)
Project Link: Brigadeiros (Brazilian chocolate trufles)
Brief Description: These delicious sweets are brown (under all the sprinkles). See original post for recipe.
*Project Photo(s):

Prompt: Big Time Project
Project Name: Mini notebooks & boxes for party favours
Project Link:
Brief Description: I handmade twelve little boxes and mini notebooks for my daughter’s “fairy forest”-themed birthday party. It took forever, but it was worth it!
*Project Photo(s):

d6e4896f3d303c0955844b455443779d6878434d_2_375x500

5 Likes