Nya mosaic rainbow blanket

I made another mosaic blanket. I love the colors in this Lion Brand Mandala yarn. This specific color is Chimera. I used just over 2 cakes for the rainbow striping, and just over one skein of the Mega Ball yarn I ordered through Hobbii.

And here it is all folded up

The original pattern is worked in inset mosaic, but I didn’t like how elongated that looks. You can see that method in the white blanket I originally started. I laid it on top of the black blanket I started in overlay mosaic to compare. I like the squareness of the black blanket more.

It wasn’t hard to convert this pattern. I did an envelope border so I wouldn’t have to deal with a bazillion pesky ends to weave in. This one took forever but was easy and fun.

It is not reversible. Here is the back. I took this picture with flash on to show how hard it was to see the stitches I was trying to pick up for the border.

26 Likes

Super fabulous! Both of them look amazing but the dark rainbow is just so gorgeous.
What’s the finished size? Oddly enough, I have 2 cakes of that exact yarn & have been eyeing mosiac patterns for it.

1 Like

It’s roughly 40 inches wide and 44 inches tall. It would be only about 41-42 inches tall without my extra repeat of blue I used from the 3rd skein to end on. I decided I liked the dimensions and so I stopped.

I added x’s to the original Nya chart to know where to do my drop stitches. If you’re interested in my chart and/or any explanations on how to read it, I’d be happy to help! Just send me a DM and I’ll help you out. :blush:

1 Like

Wait, how does the back just look stripes, while the front looks all fancy??

This is so bright and cheerful and very nicely done!

1 Like

Rather than crocheting through both loops as normal, you single crochet through the back loop only. This causes the back to look like stripes of color. The double crochet is worked through the front loop of the stitch two rows below. I also anchor it through the back loop only of the stitch behind, which is what makes the stripes less defined. But because the double crochet is worked through the front loop two rows below, you don’t see it on the back at all.

1 Like

Absolutely lovely.

1 Like

This is stunning. WOW!

1 Like

This is like magic. :star_struck:

3 Likes

Thanks so much! I took a look at this technique that doesn’t leave any ends but it seems a bit much, at least for a first try.

1 Like

Beautiful!!

1 Like

Holy moley! I love it so much!

1 Like

Wow. Those are stunning!

1 Like

That tutorial looks pretty technical. Probably it isn’t as difficult as it appears to be, but I didn’t finish reading it. I know a lot of people don’t like the envelope border because it uses up more yarn and takes more time, but I personally love it.

It does look nice.

1 Like

Stunning and that is a tremendous amount of work!

1 Like

Congrats! Your mosaic rainbow blanket is one of this week’s featured projects. You rock!

1 Like

I love this! So pretty and colorful and I love the stripes on the back!

1 Like

Thats so beautiful !
You have done a amazing job !

1 Like

I think just have to try this pattern again. I have tried it before, but i wasnt satisfied with the result. It looked more like your lighter blanket.
What changes did you do to get so nice result on that rainbow blanket?

1 Like

I used the overlay method instead of inset. And I used joined double crochet. Or anchored double crochet.

1 Like