Oma's Dutch apple pie

My friend gifted me some apples from her tree, so this was the perfect occasions to make my oma’s apple pie recipe. It was so good we actually ate part of it before I could even take the picture! My mother watches her sugar intake so I lowered the amount of sugar. I’m including both options. English is not my first language so if you don’t understand something, please let me know!

Ingredients:
300 gr white flour
240 gr cold butter, cut into pieces
1 egg, whisked
1 kg of apples suitable for apple pie (firm and tart).
The traditional Dutch choice is Belle de Boskoop (Goudreinet)
150 gr traditional Dutch white basterd sugar - can be replaced by 135 gr of regular sugar and a tablespoon of honey
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoon custard powder
3 tablespoon breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons apricot jam (or low-sugar jam)
75 gr white sugar (can be left out for low-sugar)
Sprinkle of salt

11 inch springform pan

Use 1 teaspoon of butter to grease the pan.
Mix flour, basterd sugar (or replacement) and salt together. Add 2 teaspoons of the whisked egg and the remaining 225 gr of butter. Rinse your hands with water until they are cool. With cold hands, quickly knead the ingredients together into a ball of dough. Put dough into the fridge to cool for at least 15 minutes. Dutch basterd sugar is a little moist, so while it’s taste can be replaced with regular sugar, you need the stickiness of the honey to make sure the dough sticks together.

Cut the apples into pieces. Mix with the custard and lemon juice. If you are making the full sugar pie, add 75 gr of sugar as well, but this can be left out or lowered to taste.

Take the dough out of the fridge and use 3/4 of it to line the bottom and the sides of the pan. Put breadcrumbs on the bottom to soak up the juices from the apple to prevent a soggy bottom. Fill the pie with the apple pieces.

Roll the remaining pieces of dough into sausages and cover the top of the pie in a grid pattern - or any other pattern you like of course. Use the remaining egg to glaze the top of the pie.

Bake for 1 hour at 175 C. When it’s done, spread the apricot jam on top of the cake so it melts into the cake.

6 Likes

Mmmm…so perfect for the coming season!

1 Like

Looks delicious!

1 Like

Found and bookmarked.
Thank you for sharing oma’s appeltaartrecept!

1 Like

Oma’s is best! It’s a bit unusual because there is no cinnamon in it, but she used to get a ton of requests for this cake from family, friends and neighbours.