On the Road Again

The theme for the May Stitch Along is Lyrics, and I’m heading off for a road trip, so my song choice was obvious.

I kind of invented a technique for this, bunching and tacking applied fabric to get texture (and, in the case of the rainbow chiffon sky, color). (Others may have invented it before me, but I haven’t seen it.)

I did some post-processing, too; the colors came out a little too similar, so I used Sharpie markers to alter and define, then said, “What the heck,” and went in with watered down paint to create more subtle variations. That lets this work with another song, too; I used violet paint on the peak, so it has “purple mountains majesty”.

27 Likes

This is absolutely stunning. I love the color and the texture and just all of it! Excellent work.

2 Likes

This is just so great. Love the mountain top, and the green fields at the bottom, and just everything!

2 Likes

this is just BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

1 Like

This is beautiful!

1 Like

Really fantastic, super special. Where do you keep all these marvelous travel themed creations of yours? That’s a display I’d love to see.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The ones I did last year were all sized to fit the christmas tree, so I can enjoy them every year. We had several in our camper, but kept them when we sold it.

This one wound up on the kitchen wall.

We expect to move in the next year or so; I’ll get rid of lots of decor in the process. Maybe I’ll create a collection wall in the new house.

Because yeah, there are a lot.

2 Likes

Would you consider unhooping and creating a bigger wall hanging, like a story quilt? Then it’s ONE piece, but still all the memories.

1 Like

That’s an idea.

But I seem to be rather nomadic, moving every few years, and a bunch of small pieces can be reconfigured to hang on any wall.

My husband brought home a king-size bed cover that he wanted to display; there’s only one wall to fit it. It’s ugly, but I moved everything off that wall so we could hang it. I hope he doesn’t want to take it to the next house. Maybe it could get lost or damaged…bwah ha ha ha.

ETA, in many cases, I have 3D printed a frame that is an integral part of the piece (mostly state outlines).

This is really beautiful. I love the organic feel of the fabric bunching.

1 Like

I knew hubby had a LC account, but I didn’t realize he checked it out much.
But of course he saw my comment that his bed cover was ugly. He’s being a good sport about it.

3 Likes

Gah! Oh no!
Good thing he has a sense of humor and can take a bit of salt.

(Waving and greeting like a class of third graders) Hiiiiii Mr Steiconiiiii!

2 Likes

:blue_car: :mountain: :yellow_heart: Congratulations! Your scraptastic project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! :yellow_heart: :mountain: :blue_car:

2 Likes

woohoo! Thank you!

That’s a really cool technique and super fun to look at!

1 Like

I love this. All the textures and the watercolor nake this extraordinary!

2 Likes

Very cool methods yielding really striking results!

1 Like

This is gorgeous! Really unique look and I love it!

PS: Hi, Storm!!

1 Like

5 more syllables and you’d have a haiku.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl: so clever!

1 Like