Ongoing ATC swap gallery/discussion for 2022

I had to look up Nightjar. They look just like wood. How cool! Your image is great @thanate !

3 Likes

Here’s my picture with the reference photo:

I was originally thinking about having a “normal nightjar” and then adding one of the fancy ones-- look up the “Standard-winged Nightjar” for instance, & there are also kinds with super-long tails-- but that seemed like a little much for the size of the card.

4 Likes

Nighthawks, very similar to Nightjars, are what’s common around where I live. My parents said the best way to spot them is to watch for unusual lumps along wooden fences. I’m still looking.

2 Likes

We had a nighthawk sleeping on our deck railing at the old house for a couple days. We didn’t go out into the backyard because we didn’t want to startle it. Interesting bird for sure.

3 Likes

Brace yourselves; I just received the most amazing ATC from @gozer!

Isn’t she gorgeous? I can’t stop staring at her eyes… (um, eye singular, I guess!)

This was for my “different shades of the same color” prompt. Gozer says it was done entirely with YG (yellow-green) markers in Copic. She says it took all her restraint not to add a little blushing to her cheek and eye, but she stuck to the prompt.

Thanks so much, @gozer! I really, really LOVE her! :green_heart:

As a P.S., I notice that she even smells YG, somehow. (Are the markers scented?) She’s just stunning, from every angle! Gozer has some mad shading skills!

14 Likes

Im so glad you like her. I love drawing faces but so few of the prompts lean that way in my mind. I actually kept the sketch and did her in other colors.

5 Likes

I’m glad you have a copy, too. She’s stunning! These colors make her feel like an underwater creature… or maybe a forest creature. I love her!

3 Likes

@gozer: that ATC is stunning!

2 Likes

An intergalactic forest creature was my first thought

3 Likes

16 Likes

Oh, wow! She is stunning in all the different colors!!!

2 Likes

You are so good at coloring, @gozer. Highlighting and shading are def a skill that I’m not great at. I thought about getting into Copic markers, but they’re expensive and just so many. I’m happy with my colored pencils, Sharpies, and the Faber Castells I received recently.

3 Likes

I think you’re great at coloring! Faber Castell pencils are amazing too! I have a couple and adore them.
Two of them are watercolor. @curiousfae sent me some paper samples and dabs of high quality paints. I combined them with my new obsession, Posca pens.

2 Likes

Speaking of the amazing @curiousfae, she send me a killer Monster High card. Its so cute and so vibrant. She really captured the feel of the character.

I love the way she uses watercolors. You are an inspiration!
She also sent some cool stickers!

Thank you so much!

11 Likes

Oh I saw Posca markers at the art supply store the other day! I think they were markers and not pens. There was A LOT there to take in.
I think I’m ok with coloring using a water brush and stamping ink but it’s still a work in progress.

1 Like

I’m looking on my FB groups at the ATCs and it seems that a lot have inspirational words on them. Is that a thing? Like some kind of sub-genre?

1 Like

That green girl is some kind of amazing!! And I love how you are stretching your talents in watercolor! All of those versions are gorgeous!

2 Likes

I received the most amazing trio of ATCs from @irid3sc3nt! Feast your eyes…

This one is chunky/dimensional with a cool purple spiral flower at the center. How did you make that?! Here’s another shot so you get a better idea of the 3-D aspect.

Next, there is another purple flower layered onto text; she says it is an iris from her yard.

This one makes me happy because I just recently noticed the purple irises blooming in my own yard, too.

Last, this bird.

The background has a wood layer, embellished with gold designs. The bird is also layered onto the the strawberry background in a dimensional way.

They are all so cool and I love them! Thanks so much!

10 Likes

ATC’s have evolved. When they first started you had to draw/paint them and they couldn’t be collage. Now, I see more collage than anything else. I think the words just lend themselves to the collage technique.

1 Like

@irid3sc3nt You had fun with that theme! Ha! What is the center of the first card made of? It has a strong graphic design feel to it. I think the second one is my favorite because I love hand drawing and using books as backgrounds. It crosses off both loves. The background of the third is really cool, even cooler on wood!

1 Like