Ongoing ATC Swap Gallery/discussion for 2023

Thank you. My camera tends to make everything neon and ultra-bright. I hate it!

@gozer - Did you try taking a photo using sunlight?

@geekgirl - love the frog! :frog:

1 Like

Not yet, but what am I supposed to do in the winter? The color is super off, I have a turquoise notebook that came out cobalt. It’s horrible.

2 Likes

I just bought a cheap $13 light box on amazon. its collapable and not very big. perfect for small things like ATCs

I know you can make your own light box but I didn’t feel like it

2 Likes

$13 lightbox, give me a minute.
I just grabbed one too. Hopefully, that will help. Thanks @geekgirl

4 Likes

@gozer, I’m really enjoying your animals reading theme.

2 Likes

I received from @bluebird !!
Sweet notecard & inside, a wonderful drawing of the Drink Me bottle from Alice in Wonderland!
It’s a mini masterpiece…. Thanks so much!
And I’ll use the back as a model for how to write the notation when I send my card.

11 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I received from @bluebird
Monochromatic cats!

It’s perfect!

13 Likes

How fun!

1 Like

Okay @bluebird how did you make the liquid look like it’s in a glass bottle? That’s a skill I would like to learn. Also, I love your slinky cats! It’s no clowder, it’s definitely a posse.

2 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed your card, @geekgirl! :slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile: The cat image was based off a pin geekgirl had on her pinterest. I tweaked it slightly to fit the size format and to also make it monochromatic for her theme. :slight_smile:

@irid3sc3nt - I’m sure I made some mistakes in rendering the liquid, but here are the steps I took for this drawing. I made sure to include a thickness for the glass bottle edges. I shaded the bottle along the curves from the outside edge to try to show its form. The white highlight really helped give it a more dimensional look when I was working on it. Its one of the reason I chose this brown paper so I could use the white pencil! :smiley: I made the ovals at the top of the liquid and bottom match in size/shape. (The ovals size/shape change on the angle you are viewing the object.) I made the bottom oval darker because when I looked at photos the bottom part seems to always be darker in shade. I also used 2 colors for the liquid (red and a warm yellow) which seemed to also liven it up as I was working. And then I made a the shadow (I think its called a cast shadow) a bit red to show the light shining through the liquid to the table. I didn’t do this, but since this liquid is translucent I could have also shown a distorted view of the table line and background color inside the red area too, but I was going for a more stylized version instead of realism. :slight_smile: Hope this helps! :slight_smile: Here’s a large photo of it from a different angle so you can see it up close:

8 Likes

I received this cool flamingo in a crown wearing a stylish pink outfit from @lynx for my birds in clothes and bird in a crown themes! So fancy! :crown: :flamingo: Thank you! :slight_smile:

23acsafflflnje

And if anyone is interested, sketchbox has their watercolor boxes on sale:

12 Likes

THANK YOU! I’m going to practice.

1 Like

You’re welcome! :blush:

1 Like

Here is my ATC from @thanate for my theme “I’m not here to answer cat questions.”

It has a pretty metallic sheen in various intensities as well as neon symbols.

On the back it says that January 23 is “answer your cat’s question day”! I think my boys would ask, “More stinky food?” They love their wet food.

Thank you @thanate! Also, is the metallic a watercolor?

8 Likes

Oh! I nearly forgot to show you the stickers she put on the back of the envelope!

I will be keeping those. :grin:

7 Likes

It is-- Beam Paints gold watercolor (in fact, I have two different golds & used both) which I pulled out partly b/c they had something recently on instagram about how the gold is just mica powder & binder because pigment decreases the sparkle & this is the paint they make for the owner’s inner 6-year-old who always wanted more sparkle.

2 Likes

oh, this is fantastic!
@bluebird

1 Like

Here is my ATC from @curiousfae for “She’s unafraid of bees” theme. I cackled out loud.

I am happy that I put that weird theme list up. It’s been a treat to see.

Thank you for the ATC and the rad extras!

14 Likes