Onion-Free Dill Relish

Another entry in things I have to make myself because store-bought has onion. I think it came out beautifully. I had NO idea that the slightly unnerving neon-green of dill relish was a natural reaction from including peppers!

Almost all hotdogs have onion in them. Only a small number of brat-like sausages can be found without. Yellow mustard and regular ketchup, too. So a simple hot dog becomes a problem. But plain Grey Poupon, a specialty FODMAP ketchup, Wimmers Cheddarwurst, and homemade dill relish, I can eat.

17 Likes

It definitely looks tasty, your picture is making me hungry!

1 Like

When this picture was taken it had been almost 2 years since I’d eaten anything like a hot dog with my preferred fixings, and I was in pure heaven!

6 Likes

Yum! So happy you are able to enjoy something you previously couldn’t. Do you have a recipe for the relish?

1 Like

I don’t think so. lol I looked up some recipes, ad then sort of just made up my own using the same Acid/salt ratios. I wasn’t making enough for it to need to be shelf stable, because I knew I was going to open and use it immediately, and it was an experiment. I used end of season cukes, fary coarsely chopped, plus a minced jalapeno and half a chopped red bell pepper, so it had a nice kick. I wanted to know if I COULD do it and would it be good. Lol

2 Likes

Nice fix(ins)! And now I really want a hot dog with all the stuff!

1 Like

Looks amazing! I have definitely made a make shift relish in a pinch. It is especially good with my dads home made sweet pickles. Mmm.

I have been wanting to try carrot hot dogs. Definitely a departure from the regular version but maybe another onion-free option if you ever need one. Unless you venture into real hot dog making some day! You are doing great with making your own alternatives!!

3 Likes

Those look really good! And the relish too.

2 Likes

Oh, those look really interesting! And since the marinade doesn’t use stock, the onion is super easy to cut out.

1 Like

This looks so tasty!

1 Like

do you also avoid garlic or just onion? I’ve never been a hot dog person but occasionally like sausages and Gilberts has some chicken sausages with no onion

https://gilbertssausages.com/smoked-gouda
https://gilbertssausages.com/ancho-queso-chicken-sausage

1 Like

I can still have garlic. I’m allergic to all other alliums. No onion, scallion, leeks, chives, etc. I’ll look into those! Thanks!

Looks great!
my husband is allergic to all alliums (and i have my own food allergies,) so i deeply understand the plight. the first time we made a good pizza sausage that we could both eat i cried & i don’t even like pizza. if you ever need/want to share recipes etc let me know.

1 Like

Such a generous offer! I need to work up my confidence to tackle some more complicated things.

1 Like