Online fabric sources

I NEED FABRIC!

well, at least I want some.

What are your favorite places to buy apparel fabrics online? How about quilting cotton?

I’ve been recycling garments, but I want something NEW!

4 Likes

I have purchased online from Fabric.com and Joann. Did you know Michaels bought Hancock Fabrics online business? Order at Michaels.com.

1 Like

Etsy for small pieces, and there used to be a great store in New Jersy - J & O Fabrics.

It still exists - https://www.jandofabrics.com/

I bought lots of novelty fabrics when I was making baby quilts back in the day…

2 Likes

EBay! Many small fabric retailers sell there, in addition to their brick & mortar stores. I can find almost everything I need on Ebay.

2 Likes

Sorry for not thanking you all promptly, ive been lost in a maze of novelty prints.

Thank you!

1 Like

There’s always Spoonflower.com for unique and/or unusual patterns but it isn’t the most affordable.

1 Like

I love Spoonflower prints.

1 Like

Spoonflower has a great selection. It was my source for science-themed fabrics for a sewing project.

I also like the fat quarter shop and fabric.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

Spoonflower has drosophila (fruit fly) fabric that I have been eyeing for masks for myself and my geneticist friend. I need to just bite the bullet and order it already.

2 Likes

Stop tempting me. I must not buy any more fabric until I finish rearranging the craft room. NO, NO, stop tempting me!

3 Likes

Good point. I just ordered vinyl tile for my studio. That means emptying the entire room to pull out the carpet (which we’ll put under the above-ground pool).

Its a great opportunity to evaluate my stockpile and get rid of…who am I kidding? I can’t let go of anything, I might never be able to shop again!

Spoonflower sounds dangerous!

2 Likes

I love Fabric Shack (https://fabricshack.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi) for quilting cotton. They have lots of variety, a large discounted section, will cut as little as 1/8 of a yard (great for little projects or when you need a lot of little pieces for a project!) and currently have free shipping on all orders in the US.

1 Like

We want to put a door to the new…yet to be built…new porch. So I know.what you ate facing @steiconi. But I also know it is a chance to reorganize and try…try…try to reduce and consolidate. I have to move 2-4 heavily loaded shelves. Wheeeee

1 Like

My favorite is www.EQuilter.com for cotton quilt fabric. They have a sales section.
Via newsletter they tell about extra sales with more discount etc.
Been buying from them many years. They ship worldwide. I buy 2 or 3 times each year.

1 Like

After looking at thousands of pictures of fabric and reading dozens of inadequate descriptions, I realize that online shopping for fabric sucks. I want to touch the fabric, see how it drapes, how big the pattern is, the size of the return, what color it really is. I want to buy 1/4 yard to use for miniatures, not a 1 yard minimum. I put six things in my cart, then dump them all because they’re boring or not quite what I want.

I’ve only bought three pieces of fabric; camo for a gift for my husband, Hawaiian print that was supposed to be for hubby until I found the camo (now I can use it for myself), and a bold print for bathroom curtains https://tinyurl.com/Fucshia

2 Likes

Agree @steiconi. There are advantages and disadvantages to online shopping - love the convenience and speed. Dislike not being able to try on stuff or feel/touch stuff.

But for weird specific things - Snoopy fabric or Chinese food fabric or Harry Potter - online is a good way to go.

1 Like

The www.equilter.com is a minimum of half yard.
Sales fabric is 1 yard minimum.

They have scrapbags! ( These were unavailable due to their donating all fabric ends of bolts for Corona face masks making in Colorado. I email about it, they say when they have these again, they re-start sale of scrapbags. I am EU timezone so by the time I get message is limited amount scrapbags available again hurry, read message go to site they 3 left in stock…add 2 other things to my cart… was gone as I went checkout, sold out.) Scrap bags is all sorts of sizes most of what I got is approx 1/4 or 1/3 yard some 4, 2, 3 inch strip, every scrapbag had part of a panel like I ask about at Craftster ideas long ago. The quality of their fabric is good. In all my many years ordering only once 1 yrd was too thin filmsy and used it for double sided apron. So far ordered 1x scrapbag Xmas and 3 floral scrapbags.
I too use small pieces to make small items I have OA hand sew and hand quilt, so slow.
I mostly buy florals and they describe size of largest flowers. They also have small scale prints. Many years ago I request samples for xmas reds xmas greens Kona cotton they sent little snippets/sliver of fabric stapled to white page so I could see fabric IRL.
Maybe somewhere online exists a fabric exchange?
Maybe here add a fabric exchange… . or exchange fabric other craft items…
Maybe put up pictures of some of your fabric stash.

1 Like

Following! I usually shop etsy. I’ve ordered a couple fabrics from Hobby Lobby and another from a store in KY that I cannot remember their name. I have made my own sample fat quarters from spoonflower. They do have a good selection, but are pricy and I don’t really like the feel of their fabric that well.

2 Likes

There is a place local to me that will sell 1/4 yards. And free shipping if you order over $40

My issue with buying fabric online besides everything else people have mention is that the search feature for a lot of these sites are lacking.

1 Like

And then when you find something…it’s out of stock.

1 Like