Orca Art Hoop

This is the hoop I made for @Camelama in the Hoopless Hoopla swap. Per the rules of the swap, I mailed it without the hoop, which made it SO much cheaper!! Letter rate: $1.50 to send, instead of probably ten times that for package rate! Woo! (Save the USPS!)

Anyway, some of the things on her list were nature, water, and Seattle, and I also knew she liked orcas (and even has a cat named Orca!), so I decided to make an orca hoop in the style of local indigenous art. I based this off of some images I found online, but tweaked them a bit. And here is what I came up with!

(sitting on the boat in the sunshine for a slightly nautical look :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

(on the table inside, no natural light)

I almost always have trouble mailing my hoops away, since I get rather attached to them over the hours it takes to make them, but this one was particularly tough, since it really fits my style and interests as well! My mom also wanted to steal it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I think I may just have to make another one in this style, if I can find the time!

Here are some progress shots:

21 Likes

Wow! This is really good! You did a really good job. The detail is good, I liked the colors too- Seeing as I live in the north west (A couple hours from Seattle to be more exact-) I immediately recognized the style!

4 Likes

Thank you so much! And I’m glad the art style is recognizable. :slight_smile: I was born/raised in Olympia and am living here again for now, but will be moving to Seattle after the 'rona calms down.

4 Likes

I love this! It made me think of Haida art right away… what a great interpretation!

3 Likes

I can see why this one was hard to send away! The background fabric is pretty fitting too!

2 Likes

Orca and Orca!

The red is so beautiful. I just love my Orca hoop! Thanks you, Roler!

8 Likes

This is beautiful! Nicely done!

2 Likes

I’m always amazed by the details you have in your felt hoops. This is such a gorgeous piece. It’s no wonder you had trouble sending it away!

2 Likes

Both orcas are beautiful!

1 Like

So great @roler!
My aunt took me to see the beautiful native art in a store when we visited Seattle and I can really see the likeness here. It’s really lovely!

3 Likes

I see why you had a hard time sending it, it has a sort of magic to it.
Thanks for sharing the progress pictures, it fills my head with ideas :smiley:

2 Likes

Absolutely amazing!

2 Likes

Wow! That is stunning.

2 Likes

When I saw just the thumbnail (and didn’t know who had made it), I thought, “That’s Coast Salish!” And then I saw you were the creator and, well, of course! The color selections are great and I like the seashell fabric for the background. I think it’s natural that we love our orcas out here in the PNW. Do you or @Camelama follow the Orca Network on FB or Twitter? I like to read about the latest sightings and the pod movements.

2 Likes

Really, really beautiful. Well done.

2 Likes

I love the native designs from the Pacific NW. Beautiful.

3 Likes

Oh yes, i follow! And I have the hydrophones while working, listening to them call!

2 Likes

Oh, even better! :heart:

2 Likes

I love the Haida inspired art. As always, you bring the details, and this print fabric just scream fossils!!! You are awesome, roler role!

2 Likes

Congrats! Your Orca Art Hoop is one of this week’s featured projects. Way to go!

3 Likes