Ortwin of the Black Forest - Monster Jam

Ortwin of the Black Forest!

Needle felted onto felt.

I love his face the most. Very gentle. Which is apropos, as he is named after my favorite German Opa, Ortwin! (not my actual opa, but adopted to my heart)

I stained the hoop with watercolor tubes. I love how it turned out and will do it again - maybe something darker? But I love seeing the grain shine through.

How much Monster Jam is in you? Come jam with us!
Monster Jam 2020-01

15 Likes

This is incredible! I love everything about this. Those horns are amazing. I love the shape of them. The color pallet is perfect. It has a Labyrinth feel to it. I love his expression, like he is a gentle giant.

1 Like

So cool! Did you twist the horns to get that effect, or was it all needle felt?

2 Likes

Thanks, gozer! I wonder if I channeled him unconsciously? (I didn’t mean to, but I guess that’s not the way it works.) He’s one of my most favorite creatures I’ve made, so I appreciate the details you listed!

a little of both. I separated the roving (I bought a bag of twisted), but kept some brown flecks. Then lightly felted, and twisted into place. Then felted a wee bit more to shape.

1 Like

This is glorious. Truly magical. Just gazing at that face makes me feel settled & secure, like all is right in the world. That’s the magic of monsters, sometimes they are there to protect you from all the scary in the world & keep you safe & happy. You channeled your own personal protector, make up of all those it’s & pieces collected throughout your life time & brought from your mind & feels into the physical realm. Nice one.

2 Likes

He is awesome!! I also love this technique sooo much!!!

2 Likes

I love the staining effect on the hoop and his sweet face!

2 Likes

This is amazing! I never would have thought to do the felting on a hoop either. What color watercolor did you use to stain the hoop? Brown?
VERY COOL! I love him!

2 Likes

Thanks everybody! And yes, @Magpie, he does speak to me. It’s rare to create for ME, and I knew I would keep him the whole time. So I feel very attached. Vs when I am making for others, I know I am giving away, so it’s rare to be tempted.

Yes, it’s Cotman brand in burnt umber, 076.

1 Like

I love love love this!! The curly 3D horns, the stained wood grain, and his wise and gently expression… I am feeling very covetous! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

He looks like the sweetest grandpa of the forest EVER! I wanna go curl up in his lap and fall asleep while he tells me a story. I can even hear his soft gravely voice…

Excellent job.

3 Likes

I see some Beltane inspiration in this handsome beast. :green_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you! I DID think of that! He’s very ‘of the forest’.

happy humming

2 Likes

He is truly beautiful :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is fantastic! Ortwin looks to be such a gentle monster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I like his kind eyes.

1 Like