Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread balls)—Grandma's recipe

Hi @endymion!

I personally store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge, because there’s milk and cheese in these, so it’s just safer that way.

I’ve personally never had to freeze leftovers of these because they usually all go within a day or 2. However, what I have done many times is make an extra batch and freeze the individual buns before baking. Then on another day, I’ll place them directly in the oven to bake, straight from the freezer. To do this, place the buns on a cookie sheet, wait for them to freeze, and then place them in a zip-top bag. When it come time to bake them, place them on a cookie sheet as you would normally, and bake the same way as you would have if you hadn’t frozen them first. It might take a couple extra minutes for them to cook through, but the difference isn’t significant in my experience in terms of how long it takes.

I’m not sure how well thawing and re-heating already baked buns would work. I imagine they might just not be as crunchy on the outside, especially if you microwave them, but I don’t have the personal experience to say this with certainty.

You’re welcome; enjoy!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the info! I made some, but I’m not sure they turned out right. They did not form balls, more like patties. And the texture was kind of …? rubbery? Is that normal or did I do something wrong? (I’ve never had these before, so I have no idea how they are supposed to be.) I did have to add a LOT more tapioca starch, because the batter was just a liquid at first. Maybe I added too much?

If the dough was rubbery, chances are there was too much tapioca starch. It’s really a “by feel” kind of thing. Before adding the tapioca starch, the mixture will be liquid. You then add the tapioca starch. It’s best to do it little by little. Chances are you will not be able to mix the dough just with the spoon after a bit, and you’ll need to mix with your hands. The dough should be slightly wet but in a smooth ball. to form the balls, you’ll need to roll them between your hands. Sometimes I grease my hands with olive oil instead of putting tapioca starch on my hands; it might make it easier to form the balls. These don’t rise in the oven, so you have to shape the balls really well, and they will stay in that shape as they bake. If you don’t put enough tapioca starch they may form into patties, that’s happened to me before. It’s a bit of trial and error to get it just right.

1 Like

Sounds like I’ll have to try again! Guessing I used too much tapioca starch. Between putting it in the dough and on my hands, I used the whole 16-oz package!

1 Like