Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread balls)—Grandma's recipe

Pão de queijo is a traditional Brazilian snack food. We usually eat it with “cafézinho,” a tiny cup of sugary coffee, or just on its own.

This is sort of my grandmother’s recipe. I say sort of because the recipe she gave me included measurements such as a “shallow cup of milk” and “half a plate of grated cheese…” so… I made these by “eyeballing” the ingredient quantities for many years. But I’ve been asked for the recipe so many times, the last time I made it, I decided to take the time to measure things out as I put them into the bowl.

Scroll to the bottom for a photo of the recipe I wrote by hand to give out at the last potluck I attended.

Stuff you’ll need (see specifics in recipe at the end of the post)

Get making it

One thing to remember about making these… it makes a huge mess. It’s nearly impossible to make these without making a mess, so just accept it, lol

The Recipe

16 Likes

I LOVE THOSE BRAZILIAN CHHESE BALLS!!!

You have NO idea how ridiculously excited I am that you posted the recipe. I’m going to surprise my honey one of these days and make them- they are a HUGE favorite and his mind will be BLOWN that I now have a recipe!! :star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck::heart_eyes::star_struck::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oooo! Yummy!

1 Like

I’m so glad!!! If you make it, I’d love to see a reply here or a post with some photos :heart: No pressure though :slight_smile:

I should mention my grandma passed away in 2020. This is one of the ways I keep her memory alive.

2 Likes

Definitely going to try this recipe! Assume you use medium-sized potatoes?

Oh, and does the fat content of the milk matter at all?

1 Like

@Bunny1kenobi, I’m curious to know where you first tried these :slight_smile:

@endymion, yes, medium-size potatoes. Whatever will yield a similar quantity as the mashed potatoes in the second picture. I usually use whole milk (3.5%) since that’s what we have at home, but I’ve also made this recipe with soy milk and it worked just as well. So it doesn’t really matter the fat content of the milk.

2 Likes

We had them at a Rhodizio. :grin:

1 Like

Okay, I bought ingredients today. Gonna try to give it a go on Wednesday. Looking at the picture of the potatoes, I’m thinking you probably bake them before mashing…? Or do you boil them, as I usually do for mashed potatoes? (Sorry for so many questions!)

1 Like

Hi @endymion, I usually boil the potatoes before mashing, but either method will work, as long as they’re cooked enough to mash :slight_smile:

Ooooh, but where? In the US? Or did you visit Brazil?

In the US. I’m not fortunate enough to have visited Brazil. Yet. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

:cheese: :cheese: :cheese: Your amazing project is one of this week’s Featured Projects! Congrats! :cheese: :cheese: :cheese:

1 Like

Also I copied the pic of the finished project to the top of the post so the yummy rolls make a nice thumbnail on the home page.

2 Likes

@geekgirl Yay! Thank you :heart:

1 Like

Wow…these look and sound amazing. What an honor to have access to your grandma’s recipe!!!

1 Like

These look great, I’m definitely going to try them if I can find tapioca starch.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I’ve been making do with the Trader Joe’s version (not that great unless they are slightly burnt) because my friend’s mom stopped Fed Ex-ing them due to expense. Plus she’s getting older. But oooh, I love them.

I will try your version, Thanks.

1 Like

These look so delicious!! I’m almost scared to try them in case we like them TOO much and eat ourselves silly!

2 Likes

I will have to try to make these soon! Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

@LindyBlues, I’m (finally!) going to make these today. Couple of additional questions:

How do you store leftovers? Is it okay to leave them at room temperature, or do they need the fridge? Also, can you freeze leftovers and later thaw and re-heat?

I’m considering donating some of these to a bake sale, and just trying to think ahead. Thanks again for sharing the recipe!