Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023

lol I am in the same boat…I get going like there was a fire, and then I burn out…I also signed up for that one…now I have four, plus fodder 1 and 2, and Art is Magic from last year…and vintage page designs…I need intervention…

2 Likes

I realized I really don’t like the format of “do X every day for Y days” classes where Y > 5. I always start off strong, then a few days in I miss a day for whatever reason, feel behind, and never go back. I really like the Fodder School format where you get a set of videos, have a couple weeks to make stuff, then more videos in a couple weeks. It feels like there’s enough time to actually play with/explore the techniques.

I really like the content of most of Alisa’s classes, I think I just need to start approaching them differently - doing the lessons I like multiple times/days, allowing myself to jump around, giving myself permission to skip over the ones I don’t find appealing, etc

The classes I’ve liked the most seem to be the ones where the videos are available in bulk but organized in some way. Then I pace myself by watching a few, making stuff, watching some more, making more stuff, repeat.

2 Likes

Yeah, I probably should have done that to the whole thing before I cut it up, but I got overeager :laughing: .

I completely forgot about prompts for March. Work has been kind of rough.

Here are Aprils prompts.

• non straight edge
  • orange
  • some kind of tape, masking, WASHI, dry wall, etc.
  • hearts
  • circles

How about everyone throw out a few random prompts and I’ll save them and mix and match for future months?

3 Likes

Here’s my April page.

It’s the first day in a long time I’ve been able to spend a good amount of time arting and it was glorious!

This is in a cheap composition notebook. At one time being able to see the lines would have bugged me. But now it’s just part of the overall design!

6 Likes

Oh, hey there.

All you craftalong-ers check out the Peek Behind The Curtains Challenge! You don’t need to make something new to join in, you just have to (finally) share the things you’ve made already! WHAT!?

2 Likes

This is fantastic Carlee!

I really love everything everyone’s been posting, you all inspire me to keep going with experimentation in my journals :smile_cat:

1 Like

I’m still working on the piece I started with the February prompts lol.

Here’s a couple of random prompts for future use from me:
found poetry
leaves and tendrils
eye/eyes
checkerboard

1 Like

I like that plan! Here are a couple off the top of my head:

• metallic
  • drip

Also, if you just want/need a break from administering prompts at some point, I’m happy to take a turn.

2 Likes

do you want to post prompts for MAy?

Also come on everyone else! I know y’all got a prompt or 2 to throw out :grinning:

1 Like

Prompts from our spring break adventures:
fossils (shark teeth!)
flower petals (magnolia, cherry blossom, dried roses)
garden labyrinths
secret messages on stones

3 Likes

Prompts off the top of my head (sorry if they’re repeats)

• Coffee/Tea
  • Stained
  • Ripped
  • Texture
  • Silhouette
  • Dream
  • Close to Home
  • Junk/Trash
  • Stars/Sun/Moon/Celestial
  • Music
  • Toys
  • Fruit/Vegetables
  • Insects/Bugs
  • Fish
  • Water
  • Wind
  • Numbers
  • Empty Space
  • Tiled
  • Layered
  • Hidden
  • A Reminder
  • Pocket Lists (grocery, chores, etc)
3 Likes

Sure, I’ll do May.

Also, I thought of another one – forgotten/ neglected supplies (stuff you forgot you had, stuff you got and then never really used, etc.)

3 Likes

The prompt I most need right now to is gather all the supplies that are yet to be used up but close to it and make things with them so they move out of stash. That’s true for every single type of craft I do though, ha!

3 Likes

I am woefully behind on monthly prompts but I fully intend to bring my journal with me next weekend and get some paint down! I now sleep in my mom’s art studio when I visit since she moved downstairs so I can work & visit.

Love all the prompts ideas - I’ll try to think of some.

More classes - ack! One is free and about organizing your stuff. The Paper Crafters Get Organized Summit.

And a week of making art journals, if you need more journals, with teachers Roben-Marie Smith, Leaca Young, and two I’m not familiar with - Michelle Schratz and Sara Strandquist. This class is $25 now (early bird price).

Go to Roben-Marie’s web site and this is the first item listed. robenmarie.com

Happy Spring Holiday to all!

4 Likes

Cool! Drawing with scissors!

I love doing this with fabric as well!

I switched it up this month and used the prompts for some ATCs.

In another change, I actually got all the prompts in!

10 Likes

Sticking and plonking some stuff in my junk journal.

8 Likes

Fabulous! You’re inspiring me to Just Do Some Art. I spend far too much time thinking about it and not doing it.

2 Likes