Paper, Mixed Media, Art Journaling Craftalong 2023

I love Wendy’s classes - I like her style. But yes, it’s a lot of money and I don’t really need another thing this month/year. And I’m crap at taking time to practice anything.

But you know, early bird pricing always tempts me. Ugh.

2 Likes

lol…I haven’t signed up for anything yet this year and I haven’t done one of Wendy’s classes before. I can feel myself caving… :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Also, Instagram suggested Catherine Rains to me so I did sign up for a free 5-day collage class. It’s a teaser for a longer class but I’ll just try the freebie.

2 Likes

Abbee, that does look good & my lettering needs help, BUT, there are so mant free classes out there for lettering. I have to at least try a couple of those before spending any money. I haven’t touched any of the classes I paid for last year, lol.

2 Likes

ugh–neither have I! I have to decide to keep paying for the Handmade Book Club access or cut my losses…I did the free classes and then never did another one…

2 Likes

I love book binding but I have SO MANY BOOKS on the subject that I have to use before paying for anything else.

2 Likes

I cancelled mine so I could divert the funds towards other classes I am more interested in (4 months of HMBC membership pays for the lettering class…). I’ll still do the HMBC 5 day challenges though.

3 Likes

Ohhh I like 5 day teaser classes. Do you have a link?

For me pay vs not pay for classes comes down to a few things - do I think it will motivate me to do it more? Have I already consumed a lot of that artist’s free content and/or just want to support them? Do I think the content and layout of the class is something I can find for free elsewhere?

I find that whether or not I paid for something doesn’t seem to motivate me to complete it. I’m more motivated by if it’s something I really want to learn, if it fits into my schedule, and if others are doing it too. So for me pay vs not paying for classes is usually about the expected content and structure (lesson progression, more detail, etc) and wanting to support the artist.

1 Like

This is true. I’ve been turned off by a lot of the lettering videos I found online because they seem to require special pens/tools and are just practice, practice, practice. I think there is some of that in this class, too (I don’t think I’ll be able to avoid the practice part - d’oh!), but she does say there are no special tools required.

@photojenn - I respond really well to the excitement of a weekly/daily video “release.” The structure really helps me with motivation. The one Alisa Burke class I bought but didn’t do was the Flower Journal and I highly suspect it’s because all the videos were available when I bought it.

I’m still on the fence…for now.

2 Likes

In the meantime, hop on over to VOTE in our challenges!!

Green Holiday Greens

Great Lettuce Craft Bake Off!

Well you have all made incredible use of the classes so I say go for it! The work over 2022 was phenomenal, progress literally visible week after week. If the excitement of that class structure is what motivates you, that is your answer. Do it! Happy birthday Abbee! I look forward to seeing your lettering style evolve :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Go to www.collageworkshops.com

It’s 4 days of painting papers and then 1 day of small collage. Maybe I don’t need to make more painted papers but it’s free.

Looks like this link takes you to the sign up page.

Thanks!

Same here. Probably because budget is not critical to me in retirement. I am sure if it were, I would be more selective and mindful. I am trying to remedy this way of thinking, however, in 2023. I find that I am constantly reminded of how fortunate I am and for 2023, I don’t want to waste my fortune if it can be put to better use.

I want my 2023 to be more meaningful and being aware of where I plant my money is important in other ways than just fitting my budget. I like supporting musicians and artists with a monthly patronage even if I don’t necessarily do all the lessons.

So if budget is not my motivation, than what is? For me, I think it is just exploring new ideas and experimenting…I get overwhelmed and lost in an unstructured setting so going into YouTube or online sends me down too many rabbit holes where I do nothing. I know it is silly, but I really like the Alisa Burke style because they are numbered lessons…there is a checklist or a specific task.

2 Likes

I came to see the wonders already made this year and am staying to promote voting in these challenges.

The Green Holiday “Greens” Challenge!

And this year’s Bake Off!

2 Likes

Looks like you and @Abbeeroad are on the same wavelength

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: oopsie!

3 Likes

Haha! You’ve just got my back. It’s a good thing!

4 Likes

She says on January 2nd :joy::joy::rofl:

4 Likes