Paper & Mixed Media Craftalong 2020

Edited never mind the question :upside_down_face: I’m too happy with them as-is so I just framed them (minus the frame matts)

Ok guys… Birdies are finished! Scanning now and I’ll do a photo shoot soon… but one more question for the hive mind :sweat_smile: Should I sign the front (so it’s visible)? Or just the back? I was thinking just my initials and year in a corner on the front… but would that be distracting? I really like how they look now so I’m not sure…

I was thinking

" KRM
"

in the lover right corner of the book page(s), just inside the “frame”…

7 Likes

So wonderful!

1 Like

:tada: :boom: F I N I S H E D :boom: :partying_face:

You can see them all fancy in their frames over here

1 Like

I LOVE them!!

1 Like

Some mini collages or paper clusters. Using up scraps and making more scraps.

I’ve been adding these into two junk journals I’m trying to finish. It’s easier to work out of the book sometimes.

9 Likes

Started another spread in my Fodder School notebook, which is quickly becoming my mixed media techniques notebook, on masterboards. The hearts and samples on the left are from @megwell from the Masterboard Swap. I’m planning to add samples of different masterboards to the left hand page over time.

Any other ideas/tips I should add to my list?

9 Likes

Sometimes I like to add handwritten words and/or journal before covering it up with other layers. You can make interesting shapes/layers by using painters tape (the blue stuff) between layers then peel it off. Another fun way of making marks is to dip a string in paint and loosely let it land on the paper, lift, and repeat. You can also drag it around the paper. Ummmm… really there are so many things to try/do with masterboards, your list might be endless :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

6 Likes

Eureka, a couple practical stash-busting projects came to mind today!
Library catalog cards with a hole in the bottom can be bound together with a metal screw-post or single binder ring, and the side with text will get decorated when the mood strikes. Then all the paper I have cut to ATC size that makes me happy but isn’t likely to become a finished ATC will get the same treatment, with a hole punched into one corner of all of them. I’ll use the blank side of one to make my own recipe book, and on the blank side of the other I’ll write the ukulele tabs/chords for songs I like to play. Recipe and chord websites are usually infested with pop-up ads, so these analog reference sources will be much more enjoyable to look at when they’re done! And with screw-posts and binder rings I can keep adding and altering the cards as needed. Yay, I rarely have ideas for filling books or journals, so I’m excited to have a purposeful project.

9 Likes

I just finished another doodle lesson called Fill a Word with Doodles … my first attempt.
I’m not the greatest at the large letters so that will take practise.

The lesson showed filling the word or filling the background and that’s my next try.

10 Likes

Our lad had to do something similar for school last year but he filled a space then cut out the letters which seems somehow easier that trying to get a doodle to conform to letter shapes. Extra bonus, if you cut it all out carefully you’d end up with both doodle filled letters & a doodly background with empty letter shapes!

3 Likes

Interesting concept I’ll have to try.

Some fodder-y strips made with postage stamps, washi tape, and scraps

8 Likes

With any luck, we are getting our internet plan changed today/this week, which will give so much more data, and I may finally be able to play with you all in these classes and/or crafty meet-ups! Woo!

7 Likes

Yay, that’s good news!

Looking to trade.

I want the joint tape that is perforated and is peel & stick (I think).

I just received packing tape - white, maybe 1.5 inches wide, and Kraft maybe 2” wide. These are both smooth with no fibers so great for painting, making wonky bits, and more.

I have the joint tape that looks like a mesh grid. I cannot find the paper-y one with holes.

Thank you!!

2 Likes

I got you covered! I have that tape.

4 Likes

Do you know what that is called/where you found it? I still have a little left from when you sent me some last year but I’ve been on the lookout for where to buy it and can only find the mesh grid tape that Smmarrt mentioned.

I think it is called joint tape. But correct me if that’s wrong.

I got it at Lowe’s hardware. It’s self-adhesive paper joint tape.

I still have most of a giant roll so I’m happy to send you some more!

2 Likes

That would be great! And no rush, obviously, since I still have some. Thanks!